Pumpenmeister Wilhelm Heidkamp from SMS Seydlitz

Discussions on all aspects of Imperial Germany not covered in the other sections.
Klemen L.

Pumpenmeister Wilhelm Heidkamp from SMS Seydlitz

Post by Klemen L. » 25 Aug 2007, 13:47

At the Battle of Dogger Bank (1915), 24 January 1915, in World War I SMS Seydlitz was the flagship of Admiral Franz von Hipper. She was hit by a 13.5 inch shell from HMS Lion which penetrated the working chamber of her after turret. The resulting explosion knocked out the rear turret and, due to an open door to the adjacent turret, knocked out that one as well, with the loss of the 160 men of the two turrets’ crews. Only the prompt action of her executive officer in flooding the magazines saved Seydlitz from a magazine explosion that would have destroyed the ship. Supposedly the sailor Wilhelm Heidkamp saved the ship, when he desparetely opened the glowing valves although he burnt his hands and his lungs. He never recovered from his severe injuries and died a few years later. The Kriegsmarine named a destroyer after him.
Does anyone have any photo or biographical details about this man whose action saved the ship from destruction at the Dogger Bank battle? Did he receive any decorations for his bravery in the battle?

Also any details when and where exactly did he pass away? One source mentions in mid-1920s?

It would be nice to know more about him since I come up with his name in almost every World War 1 naval book.

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 25 Aug 2007, 15:31

Interesting.Gordon Williamson in his Osprey book on German destroyers mentions that he did die postwar but no date is given.

The first Kriegsmarine 22 destroyers(Z1 to Z22) were normally named after officers commanding torpedo boats who were killed in WW1.Heidkamp was one of some exceptions to this rule.

Source:German Destroyers 1939-1945 by Gordon Williamson

Z1 Leberecht Maas --Konteradmiral Maas died in August 1915 when his ship Koln was sunk.

Z2 Georg Thiele --Korvettenkapitan Thiele was killed in action October 1917.

Z3 Max Schultz -- Korvettenkapitan Schultz died January 1917,when V69 was sunk.

Z4 Richard Beitzen --Kapitanleutnant,like Hiedkamp,seriously wounded fighting a magazine fire.

Z5 Paul Jacobi --Korvettenkapitan,killed December 1915,V25.

Z6 Theodor Riedel -- Korvettenkapitan,killed May 1916 Jutland.

Z7 Hermann Schoemann --Kapitanleutnant,May 1915,A2.

Z8 Bruno Heinemann --Korvettenkapitan,murdered aboard Konig,November 1918.

Z9 Wolfgang Zenker --Leutnant,murdered aboard Konig,November 1918.

Z10 Hans Lody --executed as a spy in Britain 1914.

Z11 Bernd von Armin --Kapitanleutnant,killed aboard G42 July 1917.

Z12 Erich Giese --Kapitanleutnant,killed aboard S20 June 1917.

Z13 Erich Koellner --Kapitanleutnant,killed aboard minesweeper M95 April 1918.

Z14 Friedrich Ihn --Kapitanleutnant,killed aboard S35 Jutland 1916.

Z15 Erich Steinbrinch --Kapitanleutnant,killed aboard V29 Jutland 1916.

Z16 Friedrich Eckoldt --Kapitanleutnant,killed aboard V48 Jutland 1916.

Z17 Diether von Roeder --Kapitanleutnant,killed in action July 1918.

Z18 Hans Lüdemann --severly injured preventing a high pressure cylinder from exploding.

Z19 Hermann Künne --"killed in action 23 April 1918 in hand to hand fighting in Zeebrugge as leader of an assault troop of Marinekorps Flandern".

Z20 Karl Galster --Kapitanleutnant,killed aboard S22 March 1916.

Z21 Wilhelm Heidkamp

Z22 Anton Schmitt --gun commander on light cruiser Frauenlob at Jutland.Refused to leave his post,maintaing fire until waist deep in water.Only 5 of the crew of 329 survived.

Klemen L.

Post by Klemen L. » 26 Aug 2007, 15:18

Interesting.Gordon Williamson in his Osprey book on German destroyers mentions that he did die postwar but no date is given.
Yes, I know. I have the same book by Gordon Williamson. :wink:

It appears that most sources agree that he passed away a couple of years after the war respectively sometime in mid-1920s. And that is more or less all.

What reminds me . . . What was the highest German military decoration that a field private and NCO in the Imperial Army and Navy could win in the heat of battle? The Pour le Merite was, from what I could understood, only reserved for officers. What about NCOs and enlisted men? The Golden Bravery Medal? :roll:

Seydlitz71

Post by Seydlitz71 » 19 Jan 2008, 19:33

Hi,

Here is a photograph of Maschinist Wilhelm Heidkamp, after his promotion to Deckoffizier.

It is from one of my books on the Kaiserliche Marine, which name escapes me....
Attachments
Wilhelm Heidkamp.jpg
Wilhelm Heidkamp.jpg (77.26 KiB) Viewed 2298 times

Borys
Banned

Post by Borys » 20 Jan 2008, 01:02

Ahoj!
I believe Georg von Thiele to have died in October 1914.
On the S119, leading the VII Flottillen on a mission in the south North Sea.
Any other mistakes in the above list?

Borys

ruebezahl

Post by ruebezahl » 15 Feb 2008, 03:13

According to Fritz-Otto Busch, Deutsche Seekriegsgeschichte, Wilhelm Heidkamp died in 1926 because of a lung desease which he had acquired by inhaling toxic gases during the Doggerbank battle.

Edward L. Hsiao

Re: Pumpenmeister Wilhelm Heidkamp from SMS Seydlitz

Post by Edward L. Hsiao » 02 Aug 2019, 10:33

Wilhelm Heidkamp was a very brave sailor indeed. I'm happy to say that he deserved to become an officer of the Imperial German Navy. I think there was a good chance that he was awarded the Iron Cross 1st class during WWI.

Edward L. Hsiao

Return to “Imperial Germany”