Karl August Nerger

Discussions on all aspects of Imperial Germany not covered in the other sections.
Kurt_Steiner

Karl August Nerger

Post by Kurt_Steiner » 27 Aug 2007, 12:00

I have some questions about Karl August Nerger, the famous captain of the SMS Wolf. I've read that he retired from the Imperial German Navy on July 25, 1919, characterized as a Kapitän zur See. However, I've read that he did it in 1930 as a Konter-Admiral. So, when did he retire?

Also, why was he send to Sachenhausen by the Soviets in 1945? Because he was a former member of the Imperial German Navy?

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 29 Aug 2007, 06:36

He was made a Char. Konteradmiral in 1930(an honorary title---i.e Konteradmiral a.D. Nerger).

He was special assignments officer for German Naval Station Baltic (z. Vfg. des Chefs der Marinestation der Ostsee) during WW2.

Hence the Soviets would have seen him as a legitimate serving member of the Kriegsmarine to be held in capitivity.

Kurt_Steiner

Post by Kurt_Steiner » 29 Aug 2007, 09:33

Thank you very much, Peter H.!!! Everything has more sense now!

Frosch

Post by Frosch » 01 Sep 2007, 14:41

A documentary shown on German television yesterday evening presented the results of research conducted by two of Nerger's grandsons into his activities during the Third Reich.

The evidence they found in various archives and some of his papers suggests that Nerger was arrested and incarcerated in connection with his activities as a director of Siemens-Schuckertwerke and his responsibilty in the company for slave labour, among other things.

Superficial details of the television program can be found in German at http://www.wdr.de/tv/wdr-dok/vorfahren/ ... en_1.phtml

Kriegsmarine Großadmiral

Re: Karl August Nerger

Post by Kriegsmarine Großadmiral » 30 Oct 2018, 11:29

Does someone know something more about Nerger's activity during WW2? I wonder if there are any photos of Nerger in a Kriegsmarine uniform.
And what was the name of this documentary mentioned by Frosch? I can't find it anywhere.
Kriegsmarine Großadmiral

Return to “Imperial Germany”