German uniforms of WWI

Discussions on all aspects of Imperial Germany not covered in the other sections.
norwoodcj

Re: German uniforms of WWI

Post by norwoodcj » 02 Oct 2009 00:56

Peter ... Again, I thank you for the wonderful information!

You pose some interesting questions. Unfortunately, I know nothing about Walter Hermann Simon except his birthdate and the fact that he died in 1918 in the Champagne. I have photographs of Walter as he was growing up but the three photos of him in uniform are the only ones I have. He lived in Gottingen, Germany at the time of his death.

I rescanned the photograph that shows his badge. I hope I scanned the one your were referring to. Unfortunately, this is the best I could do. The original photograph is not sharp. The closer I zoomed in on the badge, the more fuzzy it became. Can you identify from this photo????

Thanks again,
Carol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

norwoodcj

Another Uniform

Post by norwoodcj » 02 Oct 2009 01:08

Peter ... or anyone else!

Can anyone identify this huge wreath on this man's uniform? I believe this photograph was taken in 1907 and it is of my grandmother (age 11) and her family. I believe the older gentlemen are uncles.

Carol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Post by John G. » 02 Oct 2009 11:14

Norwoodcj,
The Badge on the uniform in question is a "Black 1918 Wound Badge" awarded for 1 or 2 wounds.....he also has the ribbon for an Iron Cross 2nd Cl. (1914) in his tunic buttonhole.....

As far as the wreath in the other pictures.....no idear except maybe the Victor of some kind of contest (?) or possibly May Day celebration....or some unknown (to me, anyway) German tradition for a celebration or holiday....just guessing.
He also has a ribbon in his buttonhole which looks like an Iron Cross 1914 2nd Cl. (but could be something else or possibly an 1870 Iron Cross award if your dates are correct)...
John G.

norwoodcj

Post by norwoodcj » 03 Oct 2009 02:54

John ... You have been most helpful in identifying the badge and ribbon on my great-uncle's uniform. Thank you so much! Can you tell what unit he served in by looking at his uniform in my previous post? Thanks, Carol

norwoodcj

Re: Which German unit

Post by norwoodcj » 03 Oct 2009 18:21

This is a 1918 photograph of my grandfather's unit in Germany. He is fourth from the left in the back row. It was taken in Lubben, Germany and supposedly is a "swearing in" ceremony. Can anyone identify the unit from this photograph?

norwoodcj

Is this a military team?

Post by norwoodcj » 03 Oct 2009 18:25

This 1894 photograph shows my great-grandfather (2nd from left) with his Turner Gymnastics Sports Team. Was this a military unit or simply a sports team?

Peter H

Re: Which German unit

Post by Peter H » 04 Oct 2009 02:04

norwoodcj wrote:This is a 1918 photograph of my grandfather's unit in Germany. He is fourth from the left in the back row. It was taken in Lubben, Germany and supposedly is a "swearing in" ceremony. Can anyone identify the unit from this photograph?
The shakos worn would indicate Jägers?The Brandenburgisches Jäger Batallion Nr. 3 was based at Lubben.

In 1918 the battalion was Assault Battalion 3,see here on Jägers: http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=76214

The 1894 photo is only a sports team.

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Post by John G. » 04 Oct 2009 02:12

Carol,
Unfortunately, wartime German uniforms had little to distingush one from the other except the numbers and cypfers on thier shoulder straps....so getting a positive ID from a distant pose is nearly impossible. The cuffs sometimes will provide a clue (Prussian/Bavarian, etc. but I'm not enough of an expert to tell which is which)....

So can't add anything to the 1st picture.....In the 2nd picture, nearly everyone is wearing Tshako-type helmets with what appear to be Prussian Front plates.....which would make them Prussian Jaeger Infantry (according to 1918 German Army Order of Battle there were 7 Regt.s of Prussian Jaeger - the 2nd (Alpenkorps); 3rd, 4th, 5th (200th Div.); 6th (8th Cav. Div.); and the 9th & 10th Regt.s (302nd Div.). You maybe able to see regimental numbers on the shoulder straps under magnification...I can't see anything but can't enlarge the picture on the computer.

The Turn Vereine was a very Nationalistic, Patriotic, Quasi-military Sports Organization....not part of the Military itself but members were very often Reservists who had completed thier National Service (prewar) and wanted to remain in the best possible shape, etc.....often staffed by former NCOs, etc.....was really a quasi- military organization and served as an underground training unit when such activities were banned....many Freikorps units had thier beginings with the Turnverein.....

Hope this adds alittle more.
John G.

norwoodcj

Post by norwoodcj » 04 Oct 2009 04:22

Peter and John G ... thanks for the very interesting information regarding the photos I posted! When I registered at this site, I knew almost nothing about my German relatives and their military service. Thanks to this Board I have learned so much and have really enjoyed studying all of the information shared with me. You guys are great! Carol

rwp001

Post by rwp001 » 25 Mar 2010 00:25

I have a military picture that was in my late Grandmothers things and I know nothing about it. If you can help with identifying anything, I may be able to understand something of it.

Thanks for any help.

Ron
Military-2b.jpg

rwp001

Post by rwp001 » 25 Mar 2010 00:30

Chris Dale wrote:
Zoring wrote:Here you go. Great Grandfather. Hans Warncke.
He was from Schleswig-Holstein, do you know what state that was in relation to buckles, tri-colours and all that? Also what colour any bayonet knot (or other regimental colours) would have been in for the 163rd Infantarie?
Schleswig-Holstien counted as part of Prussia for cockades, helmet eagles, buckles etc...
Bayonet knots were coloured according to which company the soldier was in within the regiment, not by regiment. Yes indeed the 163rd was from Schleswig-Holstein, its title was the "Schleswig-Holsteinisches Infanterie-Regt. Nr.163".
I hope that helps, thanks for sharing the photo with us.

Cheers
Chris
My Grandfather was in the 163rd. You have any problem if I snag a copy of this? I have no pictures.

Ron (RWP001)

Ken S.

Post by Ken S. » 26 Mar 2010 05:41

norwoodcj wrote:John ... You have been most helpful in identifying the badge and ribbon on my great-uncle's uniform. Thank you so much! Can you tell what unit he served in by looking at his uniform in my previous post? Thanks, Carol
Simon, Walter, Erlangen 95, V Univ.-Prof., reform/Student, Kr.Fr. Lt. d. R. Gebirgs-Masch.-Gew..-Abt. 242, Machault 3/10.18.

Kennewick Man

German uniforms of WWI

Post by Kennewick Man » 28 Apr 2010 07:33

I desprately would like this picture of my grandfathers uniform identified but it wont let me post it? please what can I do to get you this picture of my grandfather to you?

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 28 Apr 2010 07:53

Kennewick Man wrote:I desprately would like this picture of my grandfathers uniform identified but it wont let me post it? please what can I do to get you this picture of my grandfather to you?
Please continue this discussion in your existing thread at http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=165471

/Marcus

lizardsoup1982

Post by lizardsoup1982 » 22 May 2010 23:57

I have multiple photos of family in uniform. Unfortunately, I know almost nothing about any of them! Please help if you can!
-Elizabeth

Return to “Imperial Germany”