Bismarck & Wilhelm II

Discussions on all aspects of Imperial Germany not covered in the other sections.
Johannes

Bismarck & Wilhelm II

Post by Johannes » 23 Jan 2003 10:54

Hi,

How do the people in Germany think of those two men? Positive or negative?

-Johannes

Karl da Kraut

Post by Karl da Kraut » 24 Jan 2003 00:52

@ Johannes

Do you want to know what "the" German people (=the "average" German)
think about v.B./W.II. or are you interested in the opinion of (German) members. Please specify.

Johannes

Post by Johannes » 02 Feb 2003 20:20

Karl da Kraut wrote:@ Johannes

Do you want to know what "the" German people (=the "average" German)
think about v.B./W.II. or are you interested in the opinion of (German) members. Please specify.

Hi,

-"average" Germans
-opinions of German and foreign members of TRF alike

Thanks.

-Johannes

Brit Fan

Post by Brit Fan » 04 Feb 2003 11:08

The german poeple loved wilhelm and Bismark why wouldn't they Bismark united the german states fought for territory that was rightfully there's. Wilhelm was the emperor he fought to get an empire for his country and also he didn't get pushed around by other countries. Also the german people never knew about the affairs of state for example they didn't get told that they were losing the war untill the armistice was signed.

JLEES

The Kaiser

Post by JLEES » 04 Feb 2003 12:32

Hello,
I've been to both Germany and Austria several times over the past thirty years. What I've found most interesting is the Austrians display pictures of Kaiser Franz Joseph just about everywhere, but the Germans do not hang pictures publicly of Kaiser Wilhelm II. In fact, I've seen about fifty images of Franz Joseph on the walls of Austrian stores, restraints and hotels, but I've never seen a picture of Kaiser Wilhelm hanging one time in Germany. I’m sure someone, somewhere has one hanging, but I’ve never come across it, and I wasn’t looking for pictures of Franz Joseph either on my trips. When enquiring about this strange situation, I was told the Germans tend not to be too fond of Wilhelm’s image, while the Austrians still love Franz Joseph. This whole issue is kind of a paradox to me.
James

Andy

Post by Andy » 05 Feb 2003 04:51

Bismarck is up there with Theodore Roosevelt and Disraeli!

Return to “Imperial Germany”