Aircraft-mounted flamethrower!

Discussions on all aspects of Imperial Germany not covered in the other sections.
Peter H

Aircraft-mounted flamethrower!

Post by Peter H » 16 Sep 2009, 03:37

From: http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/aircr ... rower.html

Poster Tom W.
Just thought you'd like to know that in World War I, the Germans deployed an aircraft-mounted flamethrower in combat.

German Patent No. 325694 for the Bunge Aircraft Flamethrower was filed by Robert and Richard Bunge on February 15, 1918. The weapon consisted of two oil tanks pressurized by the forward movement of the aircraft; a hose; and a lance with an electric igniter protruding from the bottom of the ship.

The flamethrower--operated by a gunner in the rear cockpit of the two seater--fired backward when the plane made a low strafing run. The entire load of oil could be delivered at once, or separate bursts could be fired.

Although I haven't been able to find any photos of the flamethrower mounted on an aircraft, I did find an eyewitness account of the device's use, from Scott's Official History of the American Negro in the World War (Chicago: Homewood Press, 1919), by Emmett J. Scott. Pages 175-176 quote Frank Washington, rank unknown, of B Company, 371st Infantry Regiment:

"It was all bad, but the worst came when the German airplanes flew low and sprayed the wounded with liquid fire. There is no way of putting out that liquid flame, and no one can help you, because the fire spreads so quickly. It is bad enough to be helpless out there, without water or friends, but to have a hellfiend fly over and just squirt torture at you--well the Indians or the savages of Africa were not much worse. They were not so bad, in fact, for they were savages--while the Germans are supposed to be civilized.
A Hun plane flew over when I was wounded, but believe me, when I saw that fire coming I sure did some lively hopping around. There wasn't going to be any broiled Washington if I could help it. But some of the mortally wounded were burned to death. Those Huns should be made to pay for that sort of thing. It ain't fighting; it's concentrated hell!"

Clearly the aircraft-mounted flamethrower was only used a few times, because otherwise we all would've heard of it.

Sturmbataillon Nr. 16 and Flieger-Abteilung 223 also conducted unsuccessful experiments on the feasibility of mounting portable infantry flamethrowers on aircraft, and the French did, too.

Edward L. Hsiao

Re: Aircraft-mounted flamethrower!

Post by Edward L. Hsiao » 02 Aug 2019, 12:09

A deadly weapon that the Germans come up with! I know that the Luftwaffe had experimental aircraft-mounted flamethrowers during WWII.

Edward L. Hsiao

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 02 Aug 2019, 12:44

It seems impracticable.

A flamethrower is a projecting weapon with a very limited range that seems inherently unsuited to use by aircraft.

Are we not talking about an early form of napalm, which was a dropped weapon??

A mystified Sid.

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 02 Aug 2019, 12:45

Double post.

Return to “Imperial Germany”