German Occupation of Lithuania

Discussions on all aspects of Imperial Germany not covered in the other sections.
Peter H

German Occupation of Lithuania

Post by Peter H » 12 May 2003, 08:15

For those who doubt the brutuality of German occupation in WW1,and its nexus to the policies of WW2.

Vejas Liulevicius' book shows that the exploitation of this region was even more extensive than that carried out in Belgium.The territory was stripped of its infant industries,plundered for its raw materials,and draconian laws brought in worse than those of apartheid South Africa."If this was a 'European community' it was a nightmare version."

War Land on the Eastern Front:Culture,National Identity,and German Occupation in World War 1V.G.Liulevicius 2000.

http://www.ess.uwe.ac.uk/genocide/reviewsw93.htm

dead-cat

Post by dead-cat » 12 May 2003, 16:31

i followed the link and read the article but i have yet to find accounts of mass executions of civilian hostages and the burning of villages like it happened in Belgium 1914.

maybe i missed something, but after reading the article twice i still didn't find anything specific about "draconian laws worse than those of apartheid South Africa".

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 13 May 2003, 05:52

You need to read the whole 309 page book. :) That review only concentrated on the Teutonic aspirations to see the East as 'wilderness' awaiting some order.

The Lithuanians were oppressed by the German occupation greatly,more in the economic and cultural sense.OHL could do what it liked,outside the view of the Reichstag.

Return to “Imperial Germany”