Military Uniform Identification

Discussions on all aspects of Imperial Germany not covered in the other sections.
EricDC

Military Uniform Identification

Post by EricDC » 17 Dec 2019 23:02

I have attached a photo that I believe is a relative of mine. I think this is a Prussian uniform from the 1860's, but I'm not sure. If I can identify the date range and country of origin and age and rank of the soldier, I will have a better chance of identifying him. I believe at some point this photograph was made into a portrait, which I saw in another family picture that I am still looking for. Thanks to anyone who can lead me in the right direction, I appreciate it. Eric
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Glenn2438
Host - Austria-Hungary section

Re: Military Uniform Identification

Post by Glenn2438 » 19 Dec 2019 12:21

Eric,

unfortunately your relative is not wearing uniform but a civilian suit. The medals are from the 1860s. Of course the portrait could have been taken years later.

Regards
Glenn

EricDC

Re: Military Uniform Identification

Post by EricDC » 19 Dec 2019 13:26

Hi Glenn, thanks so much for your help. Do you have any suggestions to help figure out what the medals are for? Is it possible that they are not military? Are they Prussian/German? I made the assumption that he was Prussian/German military. I do have US civil war ancestors and Prussian/German ancestors who had low level royal titles. The name was von Kuehn and he was the tax advisor to the king, but I don't think the dates would work for this photograph. Maybe I will need to do some more research. Thanks again! Eric

Return to “Imperial Germany”