Saxony WW1 Era Jäger-Bataillonen, Post May 1915

Discussions on all aspects of Imperial Germany not covered in the other sections.
dpast32

Saxony WW1 Era Jäger-Bataillonen, Post May 1915

Post by dpast32 » 26 Mar 2020, 23:35

Saxony WW1 ERA Jäger-Bataillonen, Post May 1915

Hello Folks,

I sincerely do hope everyone here is well & more importantly, they remain well, along with their extended families of course. Although I really shouldn't have, I just couldn't resist this beautiful little WW1 Saxon, 'Militarpas', which covers a young Soldier's Service from May 1915 to earl 1919, where as noted in his Pass, 'He marched home to Germany with his fellow Soldiers'. As I've never delved into anything related to Saxony, I was hoping that someone here would be able to enlighten me somewhat on the subject ? All in all, the recipient appears to have been quite heavy involved in combat throughout his War years, & is noted that he was Wounded, on or about 1916. [ Not sure if stated DATE is his actual injury date, -or - date of his Hospital admission ? ] These I.D. Books have always been extremely interesting to me, as they literally document a Serviceman's 'career' from pretty much start to finish. This particular Pass is very well filled out, & appeared to have been updated diligently throughout his War years. HOWEVER, I don't read or write German, so I'm at a real loss here ! Luckily, the person from where I obtained it supplied an translated 'overall summary', so at least I've something to start with. I'll include his unit assignment, [ along with the translated summary below. If anyone would be so kind as to assist me in attempting to document this young Saxon's WW1 Service, I would, as always, will be MOST DEEPLY APPRECIATIVE.

THANK YOU, dpast32 / [email protected]

UNIT: II Ersatz - Btl. I Kgl. Sachs. Jagerbatl. Nr. 12.
3. Ers. Kompagnie.

= SEE BELOW FOR OVERVIEW;

>>> WW1 - IMPERIAL GERMANY SAXONY, JAGER'S 'MILITARPASS'

>>> Same as the 3rd Reich & WW2 era Wehrpass, being this Saxon Infantryman' individual Soldier's Record. 3x5" Green Cardboard covers & printed on Front w/ Imperial Prussian Eagle & title "Militarpass".

Named to 20-year old Saxon Soldier 'Arno Otto Schumann' who entered Service '3. Mai 1915'. Copiously filled out w/ 13 pages of entries, ink stamps, signatures & notations detailing his WW1 Military Career on the Western Front, from 1915 to his Discharge at Freiberg in early 1919. Ink

Stamps show his Outfit as being "K.S.1.Jager-Batln. Nr.12" ( King of Saxony Light Infantry Battalion #12 on page 9 ). Page 3 at bottom shows that he Qualified w/ the Gewehr 98 Infantry Rifle & on page #4 he was authorized to wear the Marksmanship Lanyard II Klasse. Promoted to Corporal (Gefreiten) 3.11.15. He was Wounded-in-Action, & at a Field Hospital ( Kreigslazerette ) 16.11.16 as noted on page 13.

Shows that he fought in the Campaigns at Artois, Rouey, Beauleucourt on the Western Front in France. Note page shown in Photos which details his having been Posted w/ the 1st Machine Gun Company/133rd Infantry Regiment, his being Mustered Out too in February of 1919 & the list of Campaigns & Battles that he fought in from 1917 to War's end in 1918....Flanders, Cambai, Artois, Somme, Oise-Aisne.

Also a notation that he marched home after the War 'Raumung des besetzwn Gebietes und Marsch in die Heimat' [ 'Evacuation of Occupied Areas & the march Home' ]

>>> END Of DATA

Ken S.

Re: Saxony WW1 Era Jäger-Bataillonen, Post May 1915

Post by Ken S. » 27 Mar 2020, 00:26

It should state the date he was wounded, but I would think if he was noted as in hospital on Nov. 16 he was wounded during the fighting between Nov. 10 and 15. This is covered in the regimental history starting on page 176:
http://dfg-viewer.de/show/cache.off?tx_ ... 69985bb125

What company was he assigned to?

dpast32

Re: Saxony WW1 Era Jäger-Bataillonen, Post May 1915

Post by dpast32 » 27 Mar 2020, 15:07

Hello, THANKS for your reply. I assume that the following 'ink stamp' as found in his Pass is his Company assignment, although I could be wrong ?

@>> II Ersatz - Btl. I Kgl. Sachs. Jagerbatl. Nr. 12.
3. Ers. Kompagnie. << @

I just obtained this the other day, so really haven't had time to fully document it. So basically, pretty much anything you May be able to share with me will be very much appreciated.

Best, Dom P. / dpast32

Return to “Imperial Germany”