New Book 'Traditions of the Imperial German Infantry Regiments'

Discussions on all aspects of Imperial Germany not covered in the other sections.
Chris Dale
Host - German Colonies

New Book 'Traditions of the Imperial German Infantry Regiments'

Post by Chris Dale » 24 Jan 2021, 00:27

Book_Cover 400.jpg
Book_Cover 400.jpg (54.21 KiB) Viewed 11756 times
I'm very happy to announce that my new book 'Traditions of the Imperial German Infantry Regiments' is out on Amazon.

This book takes a look into the histories of each of the two hundred and seventeen infantry regiments (and eighteen light infantry battalions) that made up the Imperial German army. We trace the regiments of 1914 back to their roots as the famous Potsdam giants, the Hessian mercenaries in America, the Bavarians who allied to Napoleon and the Prussians who arrived just in time to defeat him at Waterloo. Their histories are many and varied. Some of the earliest regiments had their origins in Dutch, Swedish or British service, while other later units were raised from conscripts in annexed territories, many of whom did not even have German as a home a language but spoke Polish, Czech, Danish, French or Alsatian as a mother tongue. We also examine how the different traditions of each regiment often determined their uniform distinctions as royal monograms on shoulder straps, battle honours on their helmet plates or different coloured cockades on their headdress.

The 250 page full colour book is richly illustrated with period photographs and paintings, dozens of photographs of Pickelhauben in modern collections and exclusive new illustrated charts of every regiment.

“Every once in a while, a book comes along in the World War One niche that makes you pause, catch your breath and realize what you have just digested. This timely and authoritative book should be on the shelf of every serious student of the First World War.”
Joe Robinson (Colonel J's Pickelhaube Musings)

It's available in print from all Amazon outlets worldwide, such as:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08SP2PK2V/
https://www.amazon.com/Traditions-Imper ... 08SP2PK2V/
https://www.amazon.de/Traditions-Imperi ... 08SP2PK2V/
14 jb meck.jpg
14 jb meck.jpg (71.53 KiB) Viewed 11756 times
100 lg sax.jpg
100 lg sax.jpg (85.92 KiB) Viewed 11756 times
plate2.jpg
plate2.jpg (46.63 KiB) Viewed 11756 times

Erich2019

Re: New Book 'Traditions of the Imperial German Infantry Regiments'

Post by Erich2019 » 02 Dec 2021, 22:17

That’s great news and thank you for sharing! I’ve been wanting a book like this for at least 30 years! I’m definitely buying myself a copy for Christmas!

Erich

Chris Dale
Host - German Colonies

Post by Chris Dale » 03 Dec 2021, 15:31

Thank you Erich, I hope you enjoy it.
Cheers
Chris

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 03 Dec 2021, 16:10

Chris,

Thanks for introducing your new book, it's on my wish list.

I wish you much success with your new publication, will there be a translation into German, that would be desirable ?

Weekend greetings from Germany! :milwink:

Hans
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Chris Dale
Host - German Colonies

Post by Chris Dale » 04 Dec 2021, 15:49

Thank you Hans,
I hope you like it. I was not planning a German translation but that's maybe a plan for the future. At the moment I am working on a follow up book about the Cavalry regiments.
Cheers
Chris

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 04 Dec 2021, 21:24

Thanks Chris,

Your book is only available as a paperback, as far as I've seen, I think the price is okay, 36,- Euro is certainly reasonable.
A hardcover edition in German language would be desirable, but then the price for your book would surely move above 70,- Euro...

http://www.imperialgermanuniforms.co.uk ... fantry.htm

Good luck! :milwink:

Hans
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Chris Dale
Host - German Colonies

Post by Chris Dale » 05 Dec 2021, 21:14

When I published it earlier this year, Amazon did not have an option for hardcover. They have recently added that option. I may republish in hardback but as you say it'll get more expensive and I quite like paperback, its much easier to hadle and look up information. Although there's some detailed information in there, this is mostly intended as quick reference, to look up a shoulder strap or regimental detail quickly. I do love those big Verlag Militaria but even opening them up sometimes seems like hard work!
I'm glad you think the pricing is reasonable. I was really trying to keep it good value for money while having full colour throughout.
I hope you enjoy it.
Cheers
Chris

Return to “Imperial Germany”