Berthold Markgraf von Baden (son's Reichskanzlers Max)

Discussions on all aspects of Imperial Germany not covered in the other sections.
tlcm51fr

Berthold Markgraf von Baden (son's Reichskanzlers Max)

Post by tlcm51fr » 03 Aug 2003 20:08

hello all !

I research any informations, photos etc... on Berthold Markgraf von Baden, son's Reichskanzlers Max von Baden

Thomas

Glenn A. Steinberg

Re: Berthold Markgraf von Baden (son's Reichskanzlers Max)

Post by Glenn A. Steinberg » 04 Aug 2003 00:28

tlcm51fr wrote:hello all !

I research any informations, photos etc... on Berthold Markgraf von Baden, son's Reichskanzlers Max von Baden

Thomas

If you would like information about his genealogy, I recommend his page in my "European Royalty during World War II" web site at http://gsteinbe.intrasun.tcnj.edu/royal ... edrich.htm.

As for a photo, you might find one in

Vickers, Hugo. Alice: Princess Andrew of Greece. London: Hamish Hamilton, 2000.

Princess Andrew of Greece was his mother-in-law. Berthold of Baden married a sister of Prince Philip (husband of Queen Elizabeth II of Great Britain).

He was a patron of education and ran a famous school in his Salem castle. The headmaster of the school was not very well-liked by the Nazis and fled to England before the war (where he founded the school that Prince Philip later attended). Berthold fought in the war (reluctantly, since he was no Nazi) and was wounded seriously. Thereafter, he lived quietly in Baden and continued to run the school at Salem castle. The school still exists and is still owned by the family, I believe.

I should point out that Berhold's sister was married to Prince Wolfgang Moritz of Hesse, whose family was one that did support the Nazis whole-heartedly. Prince Philipp of Hesse was married to Princess Mafalda, one of the daughters of King Vittorio Emanuele III of Italy, and Prince Philipp served as Hitler's liaison with Mussolini and the Italian king on many occasions (although after Italy's armistice with the Allies in September 1943, Hitler threw Prince Philipp and his wife into concentration camps). Prince Philipp also served as Nazi Reichsstatthalter in Hesse for a time, and he was imprisoned by the Allies after the war.

Prince Christoph of Hesse was married to a sister of Berthold of Baden's wife (and, therefore, of Queen Elizabeth II's Prince Philip too), but Christoph was an avid Nazi and an officer in the Luftwaffe. He died in 1943 in a plane crash. After the war, his wife claimed that he had begun to see the evil of the Nazis and to distance himself from them, but there's not a lot of hard evidence that this is really true.

tlcm51fr

Post by tlcm51fr » 04 Aug 2003 16:29

hello Glenn,

thank you very much for your detailed message.

Berthold Markgraf v. Baden was in Kavallerieregiment 18 (and after Kav.-Rgt. "Süd"). Rgt was commanded by Ludwig Prinz zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg.

yes the school is still owned by the family, by Maximilian Markgraf v. Baden (son's Markgraf Berthold), in Castle of Salem, and Productive of Wine. And the family has a Internet-Site "Markgraf von Baden"

"Hitler threw Prince Philipp and his wife into concentration camps" Why ???, if Prince Philipp served the NS-system

Best regards,

Thomas

Glenn A. Steinberg

Post by Glenn A. Steinberg » 04 Aug 2003 16:43

tlcm51fr wrote:..."Hitler threw Prince Philipp and his wife into concentration camps" Why ???, if Prince Philipp served the NS-system

Because he thought of the Italians, especially the Italian king, as traitors for signing an armistice with the Allies.

So, the Italian king's daughter and son-in-law (Princess Mafalda and Prince Philipp of Hesse) became immediately suspect. Hitler thought that they might even be Italian spies at his Nazi court.

Princess Mafalda died in Buchenwald.

Prince Philipp survived the war but was then imprisoned (briefly) by the Allies for his collaboration with the Nazi regime.

tlcm51fr

Post by tlcm51fr » 04 Aug 2003 18:34

thank you very much, and congratulations for your website

Thomas

Return to “Imperial Germany”