royal frontline fighters

Discussions on all aspects of Imperial Germany not covered in the other sections.
Balrog

royal frontline fighters

Post by Balrog » 31 Aug 2003, 02:40

i would like to know if any members of the various german royal families(kings, princes, dukes) actually fought on the frontline? i don't mean minor barons, counts, but members of ruling families.

which royal family member(if any) recived medals for brave acts in battle?

did members of any other european royal family fight on the frontline?

i seem to remember the teenage crown prince of belgium fighting on the front, but i don't know if he was actually a "frontline" fighter.

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 31 Aug 2003, 04:57

Prinz Eitel Frederick was dubbed the 'Hero of St. Quentin' for his conduct in the Battle of Guise/St.Quentin in August 1914.Under fire he rallied his Guard Regiment, by grabbing a discarded drum to beat, and lead the advance against the French line.Unfortunately glory evaded him to a degree that day because the French positions taken were found to be abandoned...but that was not for him to know.The Muller Diaries mention the Kaiser still harping on his bravery two months later "which the prince in his modesty found embrassing."

Prinz Joachim was also wounded near the Masurian Lakes in September 1914.

Muller also mentions the toll of war on the Kaiser's entourage...the eldest son of the Aide de Camp Major General von Chelius fell at Toul in 1914;Chelius also lost another son killed in the air;one of Lyncker's sons,also a pilot,came down in flames;Pohl's only son was killed in the Vosges in 1915;Reischarch,the Kaiser's Court-Marshal, lost his youngest son in 1918.

Return to “Imperial Germany”