New photo- Heavy German Battleships-WWI?

Discussions on all aspects of Imperial Germany not covered in the other sections.
Dunkirchen1940

New photo- Heavy German Battleships-WWI?

Post by Dunkirchen1940 » 13 Oct 2003, 20:19

I absolutely love this photo. The ships in the background look to me to be battleships of the Kaiser's Imperial fleet. Any help appreciated.

Grand Admiral

Post by Grand Admiral » 25 Oct 2003, 05:56

I think (not sure) that the ships you have there picture at Lützow are indeed the German battle fleet--possibly the same one that fought at the Battle of Jutland!

Jon Sutton

Identity of the ships

Post by Jon Sutton » 25 Oct 2003, 20:29

I think that this photograph is rather later than the Kaiser's time. The ships appear to be Pre-Dreadnoughts, but the right-hand ship has a wide fore-funnel, which would identify her as either 'Schleswig-Holstein' or 'Schlesien' after their first two funnels were trunked together and date the picture to after 1927. I am going to suggest 'Elsass' as the left-hand ship going on photographs from 'Die Marine der Weimarer Republik' by Siegfried Breyer in the Marine-Arsenal series, but she could also be 'Hessen'. 'Braunschweig' seems to have had an upper bridge deck which was larger than those of 'Elsass' and 'Hessen' and 'Hannover' seems to have kept the 'tubular' battlemasts and only one upper bridge instead of two. 'Elsass' served until 1930, 'Hessen' until 1934, so this would put a 'latest' date on the picture also.

Balrog

Post by Balrog » 26 Oct 2003, 00:07

i didn't think germany was allowed to have warships after ww1. i thought the germany navy of the weimar republic was reduced to patrol boats.

what was the state of the weimar republics navy between 1919 and 1933?

Windward

Post by Windward » 01 Nov 2003, 17:57

AOL is banned by Chinese internet police as Geocities and Tripod.com, so I can't see your image. Would you please attach it in your post? Thanks a lot. :)

To joel pacheco:

First I must appologize for I haven't scan the photos of white Russian in Harbin because I think it's useless. Most of them were ordinary life and churches. I'm still looking for Manchukuo's white Russian soldiers. If I found, I'll post.

And Germany was allowed to have warships even dreadnaughts after ww1, and before the Versailles Treaty. Of course newer, larger and stronger capotal ships were required by the Armistice to sail for Scapa Flow, but the four Nassau class and all pre-dreadnaughts were allowed to be held by German navy at first, and all four ships were surrendered to the Allies after the "Grand Scuttle".
ARTICLE 185. Within a period of two months from the coming into force of the present Treaty the German surface warships enumerated below will be surrendered to the Governments of the Principal Allied and Associated Powers in such Allied ports asthe said Powers may direct. The se warships will have been disarmed as provided in ARTICLE 185. Within a period of two months from the coming into force of the present Treaty the German surface warships enumerated below will be surrendered to the Governments of the Principal Allied and Associated Powers in such Allied ports asthe said Powers may direct. The se warships will have been disarmed as provided in ARTICLE XXIII of theArmistice of November 11, 1918. Nevertheless they must have all their guns onboard. BATTLESHIPS. Oldenburg. Thuringen. Ostfriesland. Helgoland. Posen. Westfalen. Rheinland. Nassau. LIGHT CRUISERS. Stettin. Danzig. Munchen. Lubeck. Stralsund. Augsburg. Kolberg. Stuttgart. and, in addition, forty-two modern destroyers and fifty modern torpedo boats, as chosen by the Governments of the Principal Allied and Associated Powers.

ARTICLE 190. Germany is forbidden to construct or acquire any warships other than thoseintended to replace the units in commission provided for in ARTICLE l81 of thepresent Treaty the warships intended for replacement purposes as above shall not exceed thefollowing displacement: Armoured ships 10,000 tons, Light cruisers 6,000 tons, Destroyers 800 tons, Torpedo boats 200 tons. Except where a ship has been lost, units of the different classes shall only bereplaced at the end of a period of twenty years in the case of battleships andcruisers, and fifteen years in the case of destroyers and torpedo boats, countingfrom the launching of the ship.

Return to “Imperial Germany”