German Forces in Austrian Army

Discussions on all aspects of Imperial Germany not covered in the other sections.
Mikael

German Forces in Austrian Army

Post by Mikael » 01 Jan 2004 18:01

I wounder how many there where that fought under Austria but where german divisions. I mean, at Italy ROmmel fought during ww1, it was german divisions that fought against Serbia as well etc. WOuld be nice to have hardline facts about it.

Orok

Post by Orok » 01 Jan 2004 21:02

Dear Mikael,

There never were "German Forces in Austrian Army" during the Great War. The battle Rommel participated is called the "12th Battle of the Isonzo", or "the Battle of Caporetto". It was a combined operation by the Austro-Hungarian and German forces against the Italians at the Isonzo area, launched on Oct. 24, 1917. The Germans provided six divisions, organized as the 14th Army under the able General Otto von Below. The Austro-Hungarians provided nine divisions, under the command of Generaloberst Svetozar Boroevic von Bojna. The forces were nominally under the overal command of the Austro-Hungarian Archduke Eugen, commander of the Austro-Hungarian Southwestern Front, but the Germans were never considered part of the Austro-Hungarian Army. They had their own operation areas during the battle and under their own tactical command structure.

This is the only time that the Geermans came to the Dual Monarchy's help on the Italian front. However, on the East (Russian) and Balkan Fronts there were more cooperations between the two armies. But there the Germans were always operated under their own commands, never acted as part of the Austro-Hungarian Army.

I hope this may clear the things up a little.

Have a happy new year!

Best Regards!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lord Gort

Post by Lord Gort » 01 Jan 2004 22:15

Thanks Orok, I know I didnt ask, but Ive learnt something else.

Woudl you have information on the breakdown of German forces. I thought that during Peace time Bavaria I think had cotnrol of its own army. So how when war came was it integrated etc etc?

regards,

Orok

Post by Orok » 02 Jan 2004 03:14

My Lord,

The Imperial German Army as it stood just before the Great War was made up of four nominally independent parts:

--The Royal Prussian Army with its attached contingents from smaller states.
--The Royal Saxon Army (The 12th Army Corps)
--The Royal Württemburg Army (The 8th Army Corps)
--The Royal Bavarian Army; (The 1st and 2nd Army Corps)

Of the four parts, only the Bavarians retained some degree of autonomy (The King of Bavaria retained command of the Bavarian Army in peactime), the other three parts were already integrated under overall Prussian military structure, although they retained their own distinctive uniforms and insignia, and for the Württemburg forces, their own officer list. However with the start of hostility the Bavarian regiments were quickly integrated, and with the introduction of feldgrau field uniform and stahlhelm, the only distinction to see on the fronts were largely the facing colors and the second cap cockade in the color of the various states the units originated.

For more information you can go to this excellent website: The Formation of the Imperial German Army. If you prefer a hardcopy reference, check out Osprey's The German Army in World War I (2 volumes) and The Kaiser's Warlords: German Commanders of World War I. For more in-depth study, check out Imperial German Army 1914-18: Organisation, Structure, Orders of Battle by Hermann Cron, ISBN: 1874622701.

Hope the above is of help to you.

Happy New Year!

Glenn2438
Host - Austria-Hungary section

Corps

Post by Glenn2438 » 02 Jan 2004 10:14

If I might add a couple of points to Orok's posting.

The Royal Württemberg Corps was numbered XIII
The Bavarians had three corps (1st, 2nd & 3rd Royal Bavarian)

The Saxons maintained their own army list (Rangliste) whereas the officers of the Württemberg contingent had been assimilated within the overall Prussian officer corps for seniority purposes since December 1893. Consequently the combined army list of Prussia and Württemberg is titled:

Rangliste der Königlich Preußischen Armee und des XIII. (Königlich Württembergischen) Armeekorps.

Regards
Glenn

Orok

Post by Orok » 02 Jan 2004 15:29

Thanks Glenn for correcting my mistake. I was writing late at night after some beer and thought I could pull this one off without having to stand up and walk to my bookcase! :oops:

Best Regards!

Return to “Imperial Germany”