How Were the Imperial German Ranks Filled ?

Discussions on all aspects of Imperial Germany not covered in the other sections.
Renner aus Schlesien

How Were the Imperial German Ranks Filled ?

Post by Renner aus Schlesien » 03 Aug 2004, 00:20

How were the German regiments filled during World War One? I know most or maybe all (not sure) the regiments had local identifications such as 55th (6th Westphalian) Infantry Regiment. Could the common soldier from Westphalia (for example) choose to join this regiment or was this choice made for him? Also, were the upper-class free to choose their own regiments? Thank you for the information.

Gwynn Compton

Post by Gwynn Compton » 03 Aug 2004, 13:30

The regiments operated under the system you described, where regiments were ideally filled, and replaced by those who came from the regiments ascribed area. Yet as the war went on, and casualties grew, IIRC, this was no longer possible, and the system largely broke down. However where possible, the idea that those who joined together, served together, in a manner similar to the PAL battalions of the British, was used.

Though I'm positive that Glenn will provide you with a better answer to this.

Gwynn

Glenn2438
Host - Austria-Hungary section

Replacements

Post by Glenn2438 » 05 Aug 2004, 09:14

I will try and check when I am reunited with most of my books but to the best of my memory, volunteers and officer aspirants could generally choose the regiment and arm of their choice within their own Corps district whereas those individuals who were conscripted were inducted as necessary depending on education, skills and physique into the units within the respective Landwehrbezirk or recruiting district in which they were resident. I believe that an individual seeking entry into a unit in another constituent part of the Reich needed fairly high level permission to do so.

Regards
Glenn

Return to “Imperial Germany”