Red Barons last words?

Discussions on all aspects of Imperial Germany not covered in the other sections.
Truffelschwein

Red Barons last words?

Post by Truffelschwein » 23 Nov 2004, 09:52

I was wondering what it was that the Red Baron said right before he died.
As the Story goes he actually crawled out of his plane after he was shot down and said something in german right before he died.What was it?
I searched and came up with nothing. Please help me out..

Thanks

Aufklarung

Post by Aufklarung » 23 Nov 2004, 13:57

Hi Everything I've read about the Baron's death suggest that if he had last words, then there was no one around to hear them.
The Fokker continued on over Allied territory being subjected to a hail of gun fire from Australian troops. Then it wobbled and nosed into the ground. The aircraft lay in the field for several hours subjected to artillery fire until some Australian soldiers got a rope onto the body and pulled it across a road to safety.
and
Signed report of 3 Sqn., A.F.C. Eqpt. Officer, is present (N.J. Warenford). He arrived at site at 2 p.m. when machine was being shelled by H.E., body still in wreckage rope was fastened around body, drew it across road and down a trench and brought it to aerodrome. The machine was knocked about by shell splinters. Pilots seat forwarded to 209 Sqn for retention as a souvenir. Request for engine for Brown; but apparently not granted, as engine, guns, &c. were sent to England 26.5.18 (204/5/1465).

http://www.constable.ca/brown.htm
(my Bolds)

regards
A :)

monk2002uk

Re: Red Barons last words?

Post by monk2002uk » 23 Nov 2004, 21:30

Truffelschwein wrote:I was wondering what it was that the Red Baron said right before he died.
Dang, should have filled her up! Wiedersehen.

DomF9

Post by DomF9 » 24 Nov 2004, 01:38

I can't remember which book I read it in (I've read so many on this) but MvR was alive in the moments after his crash, when a young Australian was the first to reach him. Apparently MvR murmured "Alles Kaput" meaning "It's over/I'm done for/I'm finished" before coughing blood and dying.

MvR did not crawl out of the aircraft, he died in the seat.

DomF9

Post by DomF9 » 24 Nov 2004, 01:49

Taken from
http://dsc.discovery.com/anthology/unso ... swers.html

Was Richthofen alive when he hit the ground? Are there any surviving photos of the crashed Triplane?
Bob

Ground witnesses, some of whom thought that a German triplane was attempting to strafe them, testified that it made a heavy landing with the engine shut off. The landing was crosswind and resulted in a ground loop in which the undercarriage was wiped off. This is confirmed by the salvage report and the condition of the engine which was obviously not rotating when it reached the ground.

The triplane stopped sliding along the ground near an artillery observation trench and the officer in there told his signaler to take the German pilot prisoner. The signaler found the pilot bleeding from The mouth and heard him gasp "Alles Kaput." The pilot thereupon fell unconscious and was found dead with his right hand still holding the joystick by later arrivals.

The only surviving photograph which has been published depicts some of the dismantled wreckage placed together for a press photograph. The lower wings are supported on trestles; The other wings are missing. Despite this, it has been proffered to the credulous as depicting the crash of the triplane in the field.

Alan Bennett

G. Trifkovic
Forum Staff

Post by G. Trifkovic » 24 Nov 2004, 05:01

"Damn chute won't open!" :lol:

Sorry guys,couldn`resist it...

Gaius

Return to “Imperial Germany”