Jäger-Bataillone -1914

Discussions on all aspects of Imperial Germany not covered in the other sections.
Peter H

Re: Jäger-Bataillone -1914

Post by Peter H » 09 Aug 2008 08:00

Hi V

The Radfahr companies stayed with the Jäger Battalions,until March 1917,according to Cron.

Then formed a Radfahr Brigade that served in the East.

Peter

Volcano

Post by Volcano » 11 Aug 2008 00:20

Thanks! Looks like my assumption was correct for once. :|

3.Jäger Rgt.

Re:

Post by 3.Jäger Rgt. » 05 Nov 2008 07:29

Peter H wrote: In the winter of 1914/15 four Bavarian Scheeschun Battalions were in existence,as Jager Regiment 3 with the Alpenkorps May 1915.In 1916 this regiment was transferred to the 200 Division.
Peter,

The 3.Jager Regiment's battalions were not all Bavarian. The II. and III. battalions were Badisch and Prussian respectively.

Chip

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 05 Nov 2008 09:16

Thanks Chip,agree.

Peter

OberJäger71

Post by OberJäger71 » 14 Aug 2011 17:10

Does anyone have access or know the actual breakdown of the "Regular" Jäger-Bataillon order of battle/Table of Organization and Equipment for the beginning of the War?

I am aware of the the 4 Jager Kompnaien, Machinen-Gewehr-Komapnie, and Radfahrer-Kompanien. I am just trying to get the size and equipment tables for a 1:4 28mm reproduction of the Jäger-Bataillon Nr. 10, Pre-Alpenkorps.

Also when the Battalions changed in composition and such I would love to discuss that with the experts here. I am very interested in when the : MG08/15's, Granatwerfer and 7.6 Minenwefer where added to the battalion strength? Also when the 2nd Machinegun company was added what was the strength in weapons and men for both companies? further I read in Cron's Book in 1915 when they began to take the lorries out of the smaller units did the Jäger's keep theirs?

Thank you,

Vaughan
"The soldier knows little of philosophers but in him and in his deeds life expresses itself more profoundly than any book can"
- Ernst Junger

Mad Zeppelin

Post by Mad Zeppelin » 20 Aug 2011 10:37

I just took a look into the battalion history of JgBtl 10. They never had lorries, they never had a second machine gun company. They lost their first cyclist company in early August 1914 to 9. Kav.Div., raised a second on in Juli 1915, but this second one was only with them at Verdun in mid-1916. They received gas masks in April 1916 and their first steel helmets in June 1916. They were equipped with mine launchers in May 1917, and subsequently had a mine launcher platoon until the end of 1917. In October 1917, all four Jäger companies got 4 light machine guns each.
When they joind the Alpenkorps in May 1915, they surrendered most of their vehicles and were given pack animals, which they kept for the rest of the war. At that time, they also changed from boots to mountain shoes and puttees.

dpast32

Re: Saxony WW1 ERA Jäger-Bataillone, Post May 1915

Post by dpast32 » 26 Mar 2020 17:19

Hello Folks, I sincerely do hope everyone here is well & more importantly, they remain well, along with their extended families of course. Although I really shouldn't have, I just couldn't resist this beautiful little WW1 Saxon, 'Militarpass', which covers a young Soldier's Service from May 1915 to earl 1919, where as noted in his Pass, 'He marched home to Germany with his fellow Soldiers'. As I've never delved into anything related to Saxony, I was hoping that someone here would be able to enlighten me somewhat on the subject ? All in all, the recipient appears to have been quite heavy involved in combat throughout his War years, & is noted that he was Wounded, on or about 1916. [ Not sure if stated DATE is his actual injury date, -or - date of his Hospital admission ? ] These I.D. Books have always been extremely interesting to me, as they literally document a Serviceman's 'career' from pretty much start to finish. This particular Pass is very well filled out, & appeared to have been updated diligently throughout his War years. HOWEVER, I don't read or write German, so I'm at a real loss here ! Luckily, the person from where I obtained it supplied an translated 'overall summary', so at least I've something to start with. I'll include his unit assignment, [ along with the translated summary below. If anyone would be so kind as to assist me in attempting to document this young Saxon's WW1 Service, I would, as always, will be MOST DEEPLY APPRECIATIVE.

THANK YOU, dpast32 / dpast32@aol.com

UNIT: II Ersatz - Btl. I Kgl. Sachs. Jägerbatl. Nr. 12.
3. Ers. Kompagnie.

= SEE BELOW FOR OVERVIEW;

>>> WW1 - IMPERIAL GERMANY SAXONY, JÄGER'S 'MILITARPASS'

>>> Same as the 3rd Reich & WW2 era Wehrpass, being this Saxon Infantryman' individual Soldier's Record. 3x5" Green Cardboard covers & printed on Front w/ Imperial Prussian Eagle & title "Militarpass".

Named to 20-year old Saxon Soldier 'Arno Otto Schumann' who entered Service '3. Mai 1915'. Copiously filled out w/ 13 pages of entries, ink stamps, signatures & notations detailing his WW1 Military Career on the Western Front, from 1915 to his Discharge at Freiberg in early 1919. Ink

Stamps show his Outfit as being "K.S.1.Jager-Batln. Nr.12" ( King of Saxony Light Infantry Battalion #12 on page 9 ). Page 3 at bottom shows that he Qualified w/ the Gewehr 98 Infantry Rifle & on page #4 he was authorized to wear the Marksmanship Lanyard II Klasse. Promoted to Corporal (Gefreiten) 3.11.15. He was Wounded-in-Action, & at a Field Hospital ( Kriegslazerette ) 16.11.16 as noted on page 13.

Shows that he fought in the Campaigns at Artois, Rouey, Beauleucourt on the Western Front in France. Note page shown in Photos which details his having been Posted w/ the 1st Machine Gun Company/133rd Infantry Regiment, his being Mustered Out too in February of 1919 & the list of Campaigns & Battles that he fought in from 1917 to War's end in 1918....Flanders, Cambai, Artois, Somme, Oise-Aisne.

Also a notation that he marched home after the War 'Räumung des besetzten Gebietes und Marsch in die Heimat' [ 'Evacuation of Occupied Areas & the march Home' ]

>>> END Of DATA

Ken S.

Post by Ken S. » 28 Mar 2020 10:46

"Ersatz" refers to when he was training. Would you be willing to provide images of the pages?

dpast32

Post by dpast32 » 28 Mar 2020 17:11

Hello Ken, I will attempt to Post them here, but if I have any trouble, I'll provide you the Link to the scans from where I recently obtained it from. In fact, I'll do that right now, as I just confirmed that they're still available online. Please see them here;

https://www.blackcrossmilitaria.com/Onl ... t_id=14000

This LINK will take you to the 'item' page, where you will be able to see all 6 available photos. Hopefully, you'll be able to discern some of their data by somehow enlarging them, if possible. I SINCERELY THANK YOU for your kind assistance with this issue !!!

Best, Dom P. / dpast32

Ken S.

Post by Ken S. » 28 Mar 2020 17:42

It looks to me like he served with Reserve Infantry Regiment 133 and was injured in August 1916
(also reported here: http://des.genealogy.net/search/show/4282298)

and after spending time in a hospital was sent back to that unit on Nov. 2, 1916 and I suppose shortly thereafter was wounded
(also reported here: http://des.genealogy.net/search/show/5312572)

and after being treated at a hospital was sent to 3rd. Comp. Ersatz-Batl. Infanterie-Regiment 134 on Nov. 23, 1916 and on Sept. 1, 1917 was transferred to the 3rd Ersatz Machine Gun Company in Zeithain, and at some point rejoined Reserve-Infanterie-Regiment 133 (1st Machine Gun Company).

It's possible he never served with the Jäger-Bataillon in the field.

dpast32

Post by dpast32 » 28 Mar 2020 19:25

THANK YOU VERY MUCH Ken, I really appreciate it. I purchased it much on impulse as I truly love these along with any other Military Identification documents. For their relative size, they offer a pretty concise overview of the recipient's service career. Also, you just don't find Saxon items as often as the more prevalent Prussian, or other items. I used to collect German Polizei related items, but have mostly limited myself to only my home state medals & documents these days. Except of course, for my 'just can't pass it up' purchases !! I'll keep researching him a little more, hopefully I may be able to track down his Grave location. From what I see, it appears as if he was he from other Freiberg or Dresden ?

Ken S.

Post by Ken S. » 28 Mar 2020 20:00

Return to “Imperial Germany”