Kagohl I in Macedonia 1916-1917

Discussions on all aspects of Imperial Germany not covered in the other sections.
Regulus 1
Location: Flanders coastal area, Jabbeke, at the home of the Marine Jagdgeschwader in WW I - Belgium

Kagohl I in Macedonia 1916-1917

Post by Regulus 1 » 28 Jun 2005, 22:07

Hi,

Does anyone have solid data on the airfields used during 1916 and early 1917 in Macedonia by Kagohl I ?
The few things I have seem rather conflicting.
I think that Kagohl 1 probably made their last bombing raid on 29 April 1917 during their service in Macedonia...
They reported dropping 2300 kg bombs on a depot at Skocivir. During this raid one of their own protection a/c piloted by a jewish pilot Fw Martin Jacobowitz was able to bring down a Nieuport E of Cerna "bogen" within allied lines.
However, Jacobowitz was himself badly wounded in the combat, and must later amputate one of his legs.
The French pilot Dieudonné Costes claims one bi-engined enemy plane that day that attacked Saloniki. The text of his citation says that the enemy bomber regained his lines out of control. No casuality exists at this date for Kagohl 1.

Thanks and best from Johan

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 29 Jun 2005, 13:12

Johan,

This link mentions an airfield at Hudova,Macedonia:

http://www.aviation-history.com/sopwith/triplane.html
...One Sopwith Triplane, N.5431, was used in Macedonia. It was on the strength of No. 2 Wing R.N.A.S., and in March, 1917, it was allocated to the new R.N.A.S. unit known as "E" Squadron, which later combined with a Royal Flying Corps detachment to form the Composite Fighting Squadron, based at Hadzi Junas as a countermeasure to the German bomber squadron then operating from Hudova.
A large Bulgarian-German depot and base was at Hudova--I think this was the Strumica Station locale on the Vardar.Jasta 38 was also based there.

Regards,
Peter

Regulus 1
Location: Flanders coastal area, Jabbeke, at the home of the Marine Jagdgeschwader in WW I - Belgium

Post by Regulus 1 » 29 Jun 2005, 14:52

Peter,

Thank you very much ! A most interesting link, with some new info for me ! Great ! And confirmation they were at Hudova at the time also...

Best from Johan

Return to “Imperial Germany”