Thule Society? Can someone fill me in?

Discussions on all aspects of Imperial Germany not covered in the other sections.
Ezboard

Thule Society? Can someone fill me in?

Post by Ezboard » 29 Sep 2002, 17:05

George Huelse
Unregistered
(12/2/00 12:00:17 am)
Reply Thule Society? Can someone fill me in?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've seen this man a million times and have read that it was a group that aided the Frei Korps and inspirted Adolfus.

But what was the Thule Society reall? Can anyone give me a good run down? What is this Thule-Netz that is lurking in Germany even these days?

Thank you.

Hibler
Unregistered
(12/3/00 9:08:48 am)
Reply Re: Thule Society
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I stumbled across a websight of some sort of Thule society. I was shocked whene I read it had over 3 million hits. It was written in german. It shouldn't be hard to find again.

Marcus Wendel
Webmaster
(12/3/00 12:07:14 pm)
Reply Re: Thule Society? Can someone fill me in?
George,

"Thule Gesellschaft (Thule Society).
A völkisch circle in Munich during the early post World War I years. Outwardly an innocent club compoised of persons who wanted to study and promote old Germanic literature, it was actually devoted to extreme nationalism, race mystism, occultism, and anti-semitism. The society was an offshoot of the Germanenorder, or Teutonic Order, whose base was in Berlin and whose branches throughout Germany were patterned after the Masonic lodges. The Munich branch recieved its name from Thule, the legendary kingdom of Nordic mythology which was supposed to be the homeland of the ancient German race that had come down from the north.
The Thule Society in Munich was founded during World War I by an emissary from Berlin, Rudolf Freiherr von Sebottendorf, who enlisted 250 members in Munich and another 1,500 elsewhere in Bavaria.
The objectives of the society were manly völkisch, embracing especially the concepts of racial superiority and anti-semitism. The group supported the Pan-German dream of a new, powerful German Reich. Like other such societies in Bavaria and Germany as a whole, the Thule Society used mystical symbols such as the swastika and elaborate rituals. Its motto was 'Gedenke, dess Du ein Deitscher bist. Halte dein Blut rein!' ( 'Remember that you are a German. Keep your blood pure'). Thule agents infiltrated the armed formations of the Communist regime in Munich and store caches of arms and munitions to help destroy it.
Members of the Thule Society approached Anton Drexler, who worked in the Munich railroad yards, to serve as a liaison to the working class. Drexler founded the Deutsche Arbeiterpartei which eventually became the NSDAP. Many Thulists joined the German Worker's party and, eventually, the Nazi party."

(From "Encyclopedia of the Third Reich" by Louis L Snyder)

Members included Rudolf Hess, Alfred Rosenberg & Dietrich Echart.

/Marcus

George Huelse
Unregistered
(12/4/00 1:24:21 am)
Reply Thanks!
Thank you Marcus for the great article. I appreciate it.

Also, thank you Hibler for your input. What is this site you speak of? I of course read German and would be interested in seeing what it says. If it is a bad site, I would care not to see though.

Thank you.

Hibler
Unregistered
(12/8/00 10:10:30 am)
Reply Thule site
You don't want to see it.

George Huelse
Unregistered
(12/8/00 4:45:39 pm)
Reply I see.
I assumed as much. Thanks anyway.

Return to “Imperial Germany”