Pionier-Bataillon Nr. 29 book

Discussions on all aspects of Imperial Germany not covered in the other sections.
trickcyclist

Pionier-Bataillon Nr. 29 book

Post by trickcyclist » 05 Nov 2005 00:45

Does anybody on this forum have access to the book Das Posensche Pionier-Bataillon Nr 29 und seine Kriegsformationen by Hans Tröbst (Berlin: Tradition, 1932)?

If so, would it be possible for you to scan an image for me?

Thanks.

TC

bob lembke

P=B Nr. 29

Post by bob lembke » 09 Nov 2005 00:31

TC;

The spousal unit ran a search on a world catalog system and got the only hit at the New York Public Library. (It is basically a private library, most years I am a member, and they don't lend.) These "world catalogs" are not perfect, hardly, but this supports my earlier finding that it is an excessively rare book. And at over 500 pages, I think a copy, if available, would go for $200-300.

Bob Lembke

Mad Zeppelin

Post by Mad Zeppelin » 13 Nov 2005 16:00

What are you looking for? - The armoured train?

trickcyclist

Photo from Pio-Batl. 29 book

Post by trickcyclist » 13 Nov 2005 22:50

Hi Mad Zepp:

I've been told that there's a picture of Bernhard Reddemann--future commander of flamethrower troops--when he was commander of 2. Kompagnie, Pio-Batl. 29.

Do you have access to the book?

Thanks.
TC

Mad Zeppelin

Post by Mad Zeppelin » 20 Nov 2005 10:59

I had it once. But I made only copies of the chapters dealing with their Freikorps activities (Chapter 23 onwards). Can't even tell you whether there really was a picture of Reddemann. - Sorry!

bob lembke

Reddemann

Post by bob lembke » 21 Nov 2005 05:39

Hi, TC;

Do you have an approximate date, within a year or two? And was that on active duty or as a reservist?

I have about 10 books that might have info on this service (Ranglisten and Dienstalterslisten), but some are not indexed, three of them pre-war.

Bob Lembke

trickcyclist

Reddemann

Post by trickcyclist » 21 Nov 2005 07:10

Bob:

I have no information except that Reddemann was CO of 2. Kompagnie, Pionier-Bataillon Nr. 29 at the outbreak of war or soon after, and saw action in the Argonne in October of 1914 before he went back to Berlin to found the flame-thrower detachment.

That's all I have.

TC

bob lembke

Reddemann

Post by bob lembke » 21 Nov 2005 09:00

TC;

P=B 29 did not exist in 1900. During the war P=B 29, at least it's first four companies, seemed to have a linkage with the 7th Army. (It seemed to end up with six companies.) Das Ehrenbuch der Deutsches Pioniere mentions it in a table at the rear but with no detail. It is a really big book, but poking through it I don't think there is anything about P=B 29. Die Schlachten und Gefechte des Grossen Krieges 1914 - 1918 does not mention P=B 29, but it doesn't mention P=B 20 either. Coverage of smaller units is really spoty in it.

At the outbreak of the war Reddemann was a captain (promoted to captain in 1911) and fire director of Leipzig, and reported as a reservist to Landswehr=Bezirk Halle a. S., a town about 40 km. NW of Leipzig. Previously he had reported in or near Posen, where he had been the fire director till about 1911. His active duty was with P=B 20, 1893 - 1896, and was sent to Artillery and Engineer School 1986-1897. Then he was a reserve officer and living in places east of Berlin (Breslau, Posen), but related to P=B 20 in Metz in Lorraine.

I don't know what army corps P=B 29 was in, but if it was not from about Leipzig or Halle I would doubt that he was in it. If he fought he must have been there briefly; he was in Berlin no later than December 1914 getting assigned to set up a trial FW unit. Without other info I would tend to doubt that he briefly commanded a pioneer field company for just a few months.

If you can give me a clue as to the source for his having been in P=B 29 I might be able to run something down. We can try to find a source as to what was going on in the Argonne in October 1914.

Just found such a source. Schlachten des Weltkrieges Volume 18 (2nd Edition) has two tables at the rear giving von Mudra's XVI. Armee=Korps' TOE in fine detail for October 13, 1914 and the end of June 1915. At both times Pionier=Regiment 29 was detailed to it, but not organically part of it, in 1914 the entire regiment, under Colonel Tilmann, in 1915 the first two battalions of P=R 29 and the first battalion of P=R 30, plus the 9. Komp. III. G=P=B, Reddemann's then flame unit. (note; This company was probably later the 1. Komp. G=R=P=R, not it's 9th Company.)

If there is a von Mudra connection that is interesting; von Mudra, a pioneer general, developed combined arms techniques in the Argonne forests at this time.

Bob Lembke

trickcyclist

Reddemann in Pio-Batl. 29

Post by trickcyclist » 21 Nov 2005 09:39

Bob:

The only info I have is from a French guy who told me that Reddeman was CO of 2. Komp., Pio-Batl. Nr. 29 before he founded the flame-thrower detachment. The guy told me that there was a photo of Reddemann in the Pio-Batl. Nr. 29 book, but that's all he knows. He heard it from someone else.

Nobody seems to have the book, so until I can track down a copy, we'll never know.

TC

bob lembke

Reddemann

Post by bob lembke » 21 Nov 2005 10:15

TC,

Note the battalion vs. regiment thing. Don't fully understand this; Das Ehrenbuch only mentions battalions, while the chart of elements of XVIII AK are quite specific anout the regiment thing, mentioning the individual battalions and the names of their COs.

Perhaps I will get up to New York and hit the NY Public Library, which has a copy. Also have another idea to look into.

Bob Lembke

Glenn2438
Host - Austria-Hungary section

Landwehr

Post by Glenn2438 » 26 Nov 2005 19:02

Bernhard Reddemann was an Hauptmann der Landwehr at mobilisation in 1914 on the books of Landwehrbezirk Halle a.S. Originally a regular Pionier Officer commissioned into Pionier-Bataillon Nr. 20, he transferred into reserve status in 1896/97 and into Landwehr stautus in 1902/03. He was a fireman by profession, shown as a Brandmeister in Posen before the war.

Sekonde-Lieutenant: 17.6.93
Oberleutnant d.L.: 22.11.02 B3b
Hauptmann d.L.: 1910/11

Regards
Glenn

bob lembke

Reddemann

Post by bob lembke » 26 Nov 2005 19:37

Glenn;

Thanks for the information. Actually, you have been doubly kind, as you looked that info up and posted it about 18 months ago. You help so many people, with your time and excellent reference materials, it must be hard to keep track of your good deeds. The info will be of interest to other participants.

I'll toss out a few more things about Reddemann that people might be interested in. About 1911 he got a new job; the director of the fire department of Leipzig, a job that he kept through the war; certainly a deputy actually led the department during the war. He wrote several books, and one, which first came out about 1910, on fire-fighting, was in print well into WW II, when I am sure they needed all the fire-fighting help they could get. I know of a German library which has 11 editions of the book cataloged.

When he formed his unit he got the Branddirektor of the Bremerhaven fire department, Karl Walter, to join up, with some of his men. Does anyone have good connections in Bremerhaven? The fire department there has a great photo of Walter posted, in his uniform of a captain of the flame regiment, with the death's head patch, Garde Litzen, usw. The other thing that they have is a memorial stone on the lawn, with the names of the five Bremerhaven firemen who died in the war. I have written a polite, long letter to the fire director (an academic, their first non-fireman CO) and got no response. I would be great to have a high-quality copy, scan, etc. of the photo (their website has a tiny copy posted), and a photo or a transcription of the wording on what seems to be a bronze plaque on the stone. I bet the firemen were Flamm=Pioniere, and I have built a roster of about 1200 men of the regiment, which includes all but one of the men of the regiment who died in the war. (And I have an idea who the one missing man was, my father's company commander, who he and others shot; the Oberleutnant was expunged from the records of the regiment as disgraced, it seems.)

American Military Intelligence was convinced that Reddemann's first name was Hermann, and that name pops up in some sources. There was a Leutnant Reddemann in the regiment as well, possibly a son or other relative. Perhaps his name was Hermann.

Bob Lembke

Troebst

Re: Pionier-Bataillon Nr. 29 book

Post by Troebst » 03 May 2018 08:26

Good morning,

I live in Hamburg/Germany and I am the grandson of Hans Tröbst. I have two book editions of the sought "Posensche Pionier-Bataillon Nr. 29".

If desired, I like to help.

Best regards

Mario Troebst
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hoplophile

Re: Reddemann

Post by Hoplophile » 27 Aug 2018 02:04

bob lembke wrote:
21 Nov 2005 10:15
TC,

Note the battalion vs. regiment thing. Don't fully understand this; Das Ehrenbuch only mentions battalions, while the chart of elements of XVIII AK are quite specific anout the regiment thing, mentioning the individual battalions and the names of their COs.

Perhaps I will get up to New York and hit the NY Public Library, which has a copy. Also have another idea to look into.

Bob Lembke

On the eve of World War I, the German Army had two types of pioneer battalions, each of four companies. The ordinary pioneer battalions, one of which was assigned to each peacetime army corps, and fortress pioneer battalions. Upon mobilization, each of the ordinary pioneer battalions formed two reserve companies and split into two "field battalions." One of the field battalions went to war with its parent army corps. The other was usually assigned to either a reserve army corps or a fortress. The fortress pioneer battalions, which specialized in the taking of fortresses, also added a pair of reserve companies and split into a pair of field battalions. These two battalions, however, stayed together, forming a fortress pioneer regiment with the same number as the peacetime battalion.

The 29th Pioneer Battalion was a fortress pioneer battalion that, upon mobilization, formed the 29th Pioneer Regiment. However, as it had only been formed in April of 1913, the peacetime unit was short of reservists. Thus, it did not form two reserve companies upon mobilization. This meant that rather than having six companies, the 29th Pioneer Regiment made do with four.

Return to “Imperial Germany”