Leutnant der Reserve Wilhelm Durst – Schutztruppe for GEA – 1914-1918?

Discussions on all aspects of the German Colonies and Overseas Expeditions. Hosted by Chris Dale.
Tanzania

Leutnant der Reserve Wilhelm Durst – Schutztruppe for GEA – 1914-1918?

Post by Tanzania » 05 May 2017, 17:58

Leutnant der Reserve WILHELM DURST – Schutztruppe for GEA – 1914-1918?
Three years ago this nice photo, below was posted at the GWF under the title “Unusual Find”:
http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forum ... nt-2162081
Source: http://s3.amazonaws.com/gwfattachments/ ... _thumb.jpg
I didn´t find the Name of Lt. d.R. Wilhelm Durst in the booklet with all Officers and officer cadets in GEA:
"Das Offizierskorps der Schutztruppe für Deutsch-Ostafrika im Weltkrieg 1914 – 1918
W.-E. Maillard & J. Schröder, Traditionsverband ehemaliger Schutz- und Überseetruppen
"
Does anyone have any idea, if and when Wilhelm Durst could have been at the Schutztruppe in GEA?
“Day by day and almost minute by minute the past was brought up to date. . . . All History was a
palimpsest, scraped clean and reinscribed exactly as often as was necessary” – G. ORWELL 1984

Tanzania

Re: Leutnant der Reserve Wilhelm Durst – Schutztruppe for GEA – 1914-1918?

Post by Tanzania » 17 Dec 2017, 09:41

Thanks to the competent and decisive help of the Forum Deutsche Kolonialgeschichte, Wilhelm Durst could be identified.
Leutnant d.R. Wilhelm Durst Schutztruppe DOA? http://www.traditionsverband.de/forum/v ... ?f=4&t=894
Here a brief summary in English:
The search was therefore somewhat confusing, because he was promoted to Second Lieutenant of the reserve only after the war.
Born on October 5, 1888, he found himself after Oriental language seminars as a post-assistant from 1913 on in German East Africa. Probably he had completed his military service before during the years 1908 - 1910 in the German Army and was released as a Sergeant of the Reserve.
With the beginning of the World War I, Wilhelm Durst was drafted into the German Schutztruppe and used as Combat patrol- and Platoon leader in the 4th Field-Company under First Lieutenant Karl Goering.
Promoted to 1st Sergeant / NCO of the reserve, he participated in the whole East African campaign. Finally, Wilhelm Durst served in the 3rd Rifle-Company, probably even as a deputy company commander and was one of the last 155 German Europeans who laid down his arms in Abercorn / BNR on November 25, 1918.
As in official Officer candidate Wilhelm Durst was released around the year 1921 as Second Lieutenant of the reserve.
Interestingly, the epaulettes on the photo suggest he is not an officer. From this time comes the upper photo.
He continued his career as a Postal inspector and was reported in Germany still in 1951.
Online Sources:
http://www.traditionsverband.de/magazin/verzeichn.html
http://www.traditionsverband.de/downloa ... ng_DOA.pdf
Cheers Holger
“Day by day and almost minute by minute the past was brought up to date. . . . All History was a
palimpsest, scraped clean and reinscribed exactly as often as was necessary” – G. ORWELL 1984

Chris Dale
Host - German Colonies

Post by Chris Dale » 13 Feb 2018, 03:14

Interesting as you say that he has other ranks shoulder straps. His medals seem to be, EK I, EK II and Hamburg Hanseatic Cross.

stevebecker

Post by stevebecker » 14 Feb 2018, 02:45

Chris,

Were they (Von Lettlow) giving these out during the war or some type of copy?

Also the wound badge?

I take it these were redeamed post war in germany?

I know my GF left all his origenal medals with his family in Germany, when fighting in Russia and Africa he used subs in case he lost them.

S.B

Chris Dale
Host - German Colonies

Post by Chris Dale » 14 Feb 2018, 02:51

"I know my GF left all his origenal medals with his family in Germany, when fighting in Russia and Africa he used subs in case he lost them." ... interesting, thanks for that.

You're right though (and well spotted with the wound badge) these would have been most likely awarded when he got home.
"The only Iron Crosses to arrive in the colony were those brought by the blockade running ship "Marie" in 1916. She carried 100 First Class medals (of which recommendations were for von Lettow-Vorbeck, Governor Schnee and the SMS Königsberg's Captain, Looff. Von Lettow-Vorbeck awarded his German officers and NCOs more during the campaign. In total 22 were awarded during the war) and 1,000 Second Class medals (of which 548 were awarded during the war). Further awards were approved retrospectively for action in East Africa during the First World War."

Chris Dale
Host - German Colonies

Post by Chris Dale » 14 Feb 2018, 02:52

Chris Dale wrote:"I know my GF left all his origenal medals with his family in Germany, when fighting in Russia and Africa he used subs in case he lost them." ... interesting, thanks for that.

You're right though (and well spotted with the wound badge) these would have been most likely awarded when he got home.
"The only Iron Crosses to arrive in the colony were those brought by the blockade running ship "Marie" in 1916. She carried 100 First Class medals (of which recommendations were for von Lettow-Vorbeck, Governor Schnee and the SMS Königsberg's Captain, Looff. Von Lettow-Vorbeck awarded his German officers and NCOs more during the campaign. In total 22 were awarded during the war) and 1,000 Second Class medals (of which 548 were awarded during the war). Further awards were approved retrospectively for action in East Africa during the First World War."

My notes at http://s400910952.websitehome.co.uk/ger ... 0cross.htm

stevebecker

Post by stevebecker » 20 Feb 2018, 01:31

Chris,

Thank you.

How was Willi Durst wounded as Holger did mention any wounds?

Was this due to wounds or illness?

I know my GF was awarded his after suffering minor wounds in the second Panzer attack on Tobrouk, but also possibly as he was returned to Germany due to illness?

Cheers

S.B

Tanzania

Post by Tanzania » 22 Nov 2021, 19:38

Hi Steve

Currently I collect some backgrounds, to prepare for Mozambique in 2023.
That’s the reason, I come here back to your post, because I activated some sources.
stevebecker wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 01:31
How was Willi Durst wounded as Holger did mention any wounds?
Was this due to wounds or illness?

On the morning of January 7, 1918, the 1st and 2nd Battalions of the 1st `Kings African Rifles´ Regiment
under the Leadership of Colonel G.M.P. Hawthorn, attacked the Portuguese Boma Luambala (or Mluluca)
from the southwestern direction. This Boma had already been left by the Portuguese at the end of December
1917 and subsequently, by the 4th Field Company under First Lieutenant Karl Goering and the 21st Field
Company under Lieutenant Walter von Ruckteschell, been occupied.

This old Portuguese fortified post was built on a bare hill with a good field of fire at an acute angle between
the Luambala and Lugenda rivers. Due to numerical superiority; - two battalions against two companies; - the
small German Detachment withdrew to the east bank of the Lugenda River in the following night. Since the
Boma was on the left bank of the river, Vice-Sergeant Wilhelm Durst covered the retreat of both companies
with a small group by simulating a full crew.

Luambala is also shown on the lower Belgian overview map from 1932:
“Les campagnes coloniales belges : TOME III, 1914-1918 / Royaume de Belgique,
Ministère de la Défense Nationale, État-Major Général de l'Armée, Section de l'Historique“
África Oriental Portuguesa - Províncias do Norte.png
Original source : https://sammlungen.ub.uni-frankfurt.de/ ... ew/7788362

According to the Google position (13° 26'09.7 "S - 36° 18'19.3" E); - nowadays abandoned:
https://www.google.de/maps/place/Lugend ... d37.153616

This situation remained unchanged over the next few days. Only on the evening of January 12, 1918 the small
group left the Boma and crossed the swollen Lugenda River in a bark boat. Vice-Sergeant Wilhelm Durst
received a serious wound from a gunshot in the abdomen, but could be transported away. He recovered to the
extent that he was ready for action on May 22, 1918 at the battle near Timbiani PEA. (He received his first
wound on February 15, 1917 at Njimbwi in GEA.)

As already mentioned, he took part in the campaign within the 4th Field Company until the end of the war.
While in captivity, he found himself with influenza (Spanish flu) from December 10, 1918 in the hospital in
Daressalam and returned back to Germany via Rotterdam on February 16, 1919.

Cheers Holger

Tanzania

Post by Tanzania » 23 Nov 2021, 09:21

Since the old links and pictures no longer work, here again the photo and GWF link to
Vice-Sergeant and later Lieutenant (?) Wilhelm Durst

http://s3.amazonaws.com/gwfattachments/ ... _thumb.jpg

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/210 ... sual-find/

Cheers Holger

Return to “German Colonies and Overseas Expeditions”