Fighting in Deutsch-Ostafrika

Discussions on all aspects of the German Colonies and Overseas Expeditions. Hosted by Chris Dale.
GregSingh

Fighting in Deutsch-Ostafrika

Post by GregSingh » 05 Sep 2019, 09:30

Report from 4th of July 1916.

4 July 1916.jpg

Tanzania

Re: Fighting in Deutsch-Ostafrika

Post by Tanzania » 09 Jul 2020, 22:22

Hi GregSingh,

You will find every message: “Vom Kriegsschauplatz in der Kolonie / From the theater of war in the colony"
In the editions of the " Deutsch Ostafrikanischen Zeitung / German East African Newspaper" digital here:

Deutsch-Ostafrikanische Zeitung 1899 - 1916 http://zefys.staatsbibliothek-berlin.de ... /23820457/

But of course, in English.
Cheers Holger
“Day by day and almost minute by minute the past was brought up to date. . . . All History was a
palimpsest, scraped clean and reinscribed exactly as often as was necessary” – G. ORWELL 1984

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 10 Jul 2020, 10:15

Good morning Holger,

thank you for this very interesting link, I was not aware about all these old newspapers online...

The elder brother of my grandfather Hans was active in "Deutsch-Ostafrika" as a "Holzkaufmann" (Timber Merchant) in the 1920s and the
early 1930s, as a representative of North German trading companies from Bremen and Hamburg.
This great uncle Herbert left behind a neat collection of books about the german colonies, which today are in my possession.

Both brothers did not have a very friendly relationship with each other, which can also be read in the correspondence of that time...
No matter today, the books left behind are small treasures, many of them rarities sought after today, well. :)

Greetings

Hans1906
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Tanzania

Post by Tanzania » 10 Jul 2020, 20:31

Hallo Hans,

Thank you for your honest presentation and welcome to sub thread `German Colonies´

:welcome:

Even if I have no family ties to the former German colonies, I am of course very interested
in this topic and I am very compliant with the heading of this forum: Information which are
not shares are lost
. That is why we all try to pass on and exchange such information.

Of course, sources of information about German settlers in GEA after 1920 are limited.
But if you have specific data and questions, I can forward them to other colleagues.

(Bay the way; - regarding music; - “Dead can dance” / Lisa Gerard, was fine; - but “TOOL” is better!
Sober; - tales from the dark side; - the beginning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7lweNCCwS0)

Cheers Holger
“Day by day and almost minute by minute the past was brought up to date. . . . All History was a
palimpsest, scraped clean and reinscribed exactly as often as was necessary” – G. ORWELL 1984

Return to “German Colonies and Overseas Expeditions”