The death of Oberstleutnant von Heydebreck

Discussions on all aspects of the German Colonies and Overseas Expeditions. Hosted by Chris Dale.
Chris Dale
Host - German Colonies

The death of Oberstleutnant von Heydebreck

Post by Chris Dale » 22 Aug 2006 17:57

In another thread (Weapons of the Schutztruppe) Peter H said -

"Rifle grenades were also used in DWSA--Oberstleutnant Joachim von Heydebreck was killed in November 1914 by one in an "accident"."

I had heard he was killed in an accident, does anyone know more details? And why did you put the word "accident" in inverted commas, Peter? Are you implying there was more to his death than an accident?

Cheers
Chris

Scarlett

Post by Scarlett » 22 Aug 2006 18:49

According to a lot of references von Heydebreck was killed in an accident with a rifle-grenade.
I seriously doubt, that rifle-grenades were with the DSWA Schutztruppe in 1914 already..
The first German rifle-grenade was Gewehrgranate 1913, developed by Rheinmetall.
But only the follow-up, Gewehrgranate 1914, was introduced in the army.
And I can't believe, that they were in the same year in service with the Schutztruppe.

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 23 Aug 2006 10:06

No Chris,I was wondering how one got killed by a rifle grenade fired by your own men if one was in a command position behind the front.Obviously a misfire or the grenade exploded on the end of the rifle.More friendly fire than an accident.

From a previous discussion elsewhere:
From the accounts I have read the Germans disliked the rifle grenades quite a lot. In fact one regiment mentioned that they suspected as many casualties had been caused to their own men as to the enemy by these grenades.

Scarlett

Post by Scarlett » 23 Aug 2006 11:46

As the accident happened in Kalkfontein-Süd in November 1914 there was no front nearby.
The South-Africans didn't reach this area before March 1915.

Return to “German Colonies and Overseas Expeditions”