Schutzgebiet Deutsch-Neuguinea 1914

Discussions on all aspects of the German Colonies and Overseas Expeditions. Hosted by Chris Dale.
Gregorus

Re: Schutzgebiet Deutsch-Neuguinea 1914

Post by Gregorus » 23 Jan 2009, 23:19

Last edited by Gregorus on 25 Jan 2009, 00:52, edited 1 time in total.
Dicere est argentym, tacere aurum

Chris Dale
Host - German Colonies

Post by Chris Dale » 24 Jan 2009, 03:44

Thank you for that last link, a very good account of the fighting on New Guinea in 1914...
Cheers
Chris

Gregorus

Post by Gregorus » 24 Jan 2009, 21:16

Last edited by Gregorus on 24 Jan 2009, 23:57, edited 1 time in total.

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » 24 Jan 2009, 23:45

Chris Dale wrote:Thanks for pointing that out... it seems the Australian records and German records, generally agree about the distribution of forces but some details are slightly different. I'm guessing with forces this small it is easy to count 10 men in a unit one day and six the next, if two are deployed as snipers, one is used as a messanger and another is sick (for example). So Lt. Blumenthal was in Toma... I thought he was on another island. It must be my bad memory. I'll try to find more information on him.

Cheers
Chris
Robert von Blumenthal was my great-uncle. In PNG, he acquired the nickname "Lord Bob" owing to his aristocratic background and dapper dress-sense. He was there in the first place because as an officer in Prussia he had gambled away his inheritance in the mess. He was a crack shot and a great ladies man.

I have, unfortunately, no information about the short fight in PNG. One family paper says he had the Iron Cross (scond class) but I find this difficult to believe.

Henry von Blumenthal

Gregorus

Post by Gregorus » 25 Jan 2009, 00:44

[email protected] wrote:
Chris Dale wrote:Thanks for pointing that out... it seems the Australian records and German records, generally agree about the distribution of forces but some details are slightly different. I'm guessing with forces this small it is easy to count 10 men in a unit one day and six the next, if two are deployed as snipers, one is used as a messanger and another is sick (for example). So Lt. Blumenthal was in Toma... I thought he was on another island. It must be my bad memory. I'll try to find more information on him.

Cheers
Chris
Robert von Blumenthal was my great-uncle. In PNG, he acquired the nickname "Lord Bob" owing to his aristocratic background and dapper dress-sense. He was there in the first place because as an officer in Prussia he had gambled away his inheritance in the mess. He was a crack shot and a great ladies man.

I have, unfortunately, no information about the short fight in PNG. One family paper says he had the Iron Cross (scond class) but I find this difficult to believe.

Henry von Blumenthal

You have some information (any) about Leutnant Robert von Blumenthal at Deutsch-Neuguinea?
Maybe You have any photographs?

I found only short information:

http://wiki-de.genealogy.net/Ehemalige_ ... _Neuguinea

http://marshall.csu.edu.au/CNMI/CNMIBIB/0821.pdf

Gregorus

Post by Gregorus » 30 Jan 2009, 22:34

Gregorus

Post by Gregorus » 01 Oct 2010, 20:54