Tsingtau Coat-of-Arms

Discussions on all aspects of the German Colonies and Overseas Expeditions. Hosted by Chris Dale.
Uncle Fritz

Tsingtau Coat-of-Arms

Post by Uncle Fritz » 02 May 2012 01:13

I wonder if the german-built city of Tsingtau actually had its own coat-of-arms? And where could I find such information?

I know that Britons gave colonial Bombay a coat-of-arms, so Germans could too.

Chris Dale
Host - German Colonies

Re: Tsingtau Coat-of-Arms

Post by Chris Dale » 03 May 2012 12:32

No, I don't think so.

Yes, the British gave their colonies flags and coats of arms but the Germans did not. The Germans later decided it would be good to have coats of arms and designed some that were never used before the First World War.

Have a look at-
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Flaggen_Deutschlands

Scroll down the page to "Proposed flags for German colonies (never taken into use)".

But even then Tsingtao did not get one as these were designs from the colonial office and Tsingtao did not come under their jurisdiction.

Cheers
Chris

Uncle Fritz

Post by Uncle Fritz » 03 May 2012 13:34

That's interesting. Tsingtau was built from scratch as a german-styled city and yet posessed no coat of arms? Strange...

Anyway thanks for the interesting link :)

Reichskolonialamt

Post by Reichskolonialamt » 24 Jun 2012 06:00

Yes, it´s strange. But the reason is, that Tsingtau was a city under administration of the Imperial Marine, as Chris correctly mentioned:
Chris Dale wrote:But even then Tsingtao did not get one as these were designs from the colonial office and Tsingtao did not come under their jurisdiction
The only coat of arms, which was used in official purpose, was hers..

Return to “German Colonies and Overseas Expeditions”