- Posts: 53
- Joined: 13 Mar 2011 16:32
- Location: Ukraine
Does anybody has the whole list of the Richard Wenig awards?
Or, maybe someone help me to identify all awards from his ribbon bar?
- Eisernes Kreuz 2.Klasse 1914
- Bayer. Militärverdienstkreuz mit Schwertern -> which class?
- Hanseatenkreuz Lübeck -> ???
- Hanseatenkreuz Hamburg -> ???
- Hanseatenkreuz Bremen -> ???
- Bayer. Jubiläumsmedaille -> ???
- Spange 1939 zum Eisernen Kreuz 2. Klasse
- Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse 1914
- Kolonialabzeichen (Elefantenorden)
- Verwundetenabzeichen der Marine 1918 -> ??? (look at a3 scan, near Verwundetenabzeichen)
Also, does anybody know for what he received Spange 1939 zum Eisernen Kreuz 2. Klasse?
Source: http://www.kriegsberichter.de & private collection
- Host - German Colonies
- Posts: 1909
- Joined: 21 Apr 2004 14:48
- Location: UK
Richard Wenig had been a gunnery officer as a Leutnant Zur See on the SMS Königsberg. When the crew of the Königsberg were incorporated into the Schutztruppe Wenig went on to command von Lettow-Vorbeck's artillery including the salvaged guns from the Königsberg. Wenig lost his left foot in action around the Rufiji Delta on 11th July 1915, but was promoted to Oberleutnant zur See on 23rd March 1916 and continued in service right up to the end of the war (being one of the last 30 officers to surrender in November 1918) with a prosthetic foot he made himself. This may explain why he is one of the few mounted officers seen late in the war. After the war Wenig wrote a book called "Kriegs-Safari" based on his experiences during the war in East Africa.
..and a photo of him in Schutztruppe uniform, note the prosthetic foot.