Missing Gun from the SMS Königsberg

Discussions on all aspects of the German Colonies and Overseas Expeditions. Hosted by Chris Dale.
arche-foto

Re: Missing Gun from the SMS Königsberg

Post by arche-foto » 19 Nov 2019 17:43

Yes, I have saved the full pages.

Best regards - arche-foto

seahound

Post by seahound » 18 Jul 2020 06:08

Hi Chris, are you still looking for info regarding the location of some of the Korigsberg's guns?

Chris Dale
Host - German Colonies

Post by Chris Dale » 18 Jul 2020 18:52

Yes Seahound, if you have any please share it with us!
Cheers
Chris

seahound

Post by seahound » 18 Jul 2020 20:52

Hi Chris

In the book titled 'Konigsberg, a German East African Trader' by Kevin Patience, in Chapter 11 ‘Aftermath’ pages 158/9 it is noted what happened to some of the guns and photos are included.

The following two guns don't appear to have been mentioned by you, so may be of interest:

- A gun recovered at Kahe with a split barrel was displayed outside Government House in Dar es Salam (photo included in the book) for about a decade before it was removed and placed into storage in August 1934 – likely to have been scrapped.

- In the 1970’s there was a story of a game warden having found a gun in a river bed in one of Tanzania’s Park, but due to its remote locate the gun was left where it was.

I'm no expert on the subject, however I did find the book a most interesting read. If you are interested I may still have Kevin's email address as I did have an email exchange with him around the time I purchased the book.

Cheers
Patrick

Chris Dale
Host - German Colonies

Post by Chris Dale » 18 Jul 2020 21:33

Thanks Seahound, yes I've read that book and made notes on it. Thanks for bringing it up though.
Cheers
Chris

Return to “German Colonies and Overseas Expeditions”