Skirmish on Kito-Hill in March 1915 at GEA / BNR border

Discussions on all aspects of the German Colonies and Overseas Expeditions. Hosted by Chris Dale.
Tanzania

Re: Skirmish on Kito-Hill in March 1915 at GEA / BNR border

Post by Tanzania » 03 Jan 2016, 21:23

DETAILED QUESTIONS:

5.) Haun was captured on Kito or Safi on the 17. March. But both locations are minimum two day's march from
Kawimbe. So, how he could die on the same day in Kawimbe? (If he really pass away on 17. March?) Are
records from British hospital in Kawimbe available? I have heard about rumors National Archives offers this.

I started searching . . . .
“Day by day and almost minute by minute the past was brought up to date. . . . All History was a
palimpsest, scraped clean and reinscribed exactly as often as was necessary” – G. ORWELL 1984

Tanzania

Post by Tanzania » 07 Jan 2016, 22:07

IDENTIFICATION OF THE LOCATION OF THE FORMALLY OLD FIVE BOMA (Part IV)

Even before I looked at the other links from danebrog. Among other things the Zamtel sponsored YouTube video about Nakonde.
A really superbly Story; Battle during the Great War between Germans and British in 1899 with mass graves and a killed Major a.
D. Heinrich von Berg
. The only point with matched our theme was the mentioned location of Fife. This is a sample what problems
could arise on site without any further informations. I add the question about the exact location in the comments. Maybe it helps?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wws0frCThqk

(The same nonsense with the story of Zwangendabas´s burial near Nakonde in Part 1 of this Zamtel video edition; - anyway.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT8JEtGnrsE
“Day by day and almost minute by minute the past was brought up to date. . . . All History was a
palimpsest, scraped clean and reinscribed exactly as often as was necessary” – G. ORWELL 1984

danebrog

Post by danebrog » 10 Jan 2016, 21:04

Feedback from GB
OK Olli, here we go:

I have found something to do on a rainy Sunday morning!

I have searched the CWGC records for Malawi, Zambia, Seychelles and Botswana.

In Malawi there are 7 CWGC cemeteries or memorials, three of which have German graves:

Blantyre Church Presbyterian cemetery has 3 graves of German civilians - details attached.
Karonga War cemetery has 6 German soldiers who all died in Sep 1914. This is not the original cemetery, it was created in 1985 when the original was submerged by Lake Malawi - details attached
Zomba Town cemetery has 1 German soldier who died in December 1918 (POW?) -details attached

In Zambia there are 4 CWGC cemeteries but no graves of German soldiers

In Seychelles there are 2 CWGC cemeteries but no graves of German soldiers

In Botswana there 12 memorials but no grave of German soldiers

I hope this helps, I am sure there were more than 7 soldiers who died, but they may not be in CWGC cemeteries. I will ask the CWGC but I think all of their records are on the website.

Is it worth me searching Kenya?

Regards,

Steve

Tanzania

Post by Tanzania » 11 Jan 2016, 18:46

I have searched the CWGC records for Malawi, Zambia, Seychelles and Botswana.

In Malawi there are 7 CWGC cemeteries or memorials, three of which have German graves: known
Blantyre Church Presbyterian cemetery has 3 graves of German civilians - details attached.
Karonga War cemetery has 6 German soldiers who all died in Sep 1914. This is not the original cemetery, it was created in 1985 when the original was submerged by Lake Malawi - details attached known
Zomba Town cemetery has 1 German soldier who died in December 1918 (POW?) -details attached known

In Zambia there are 4 CWGC cemeteries but no graves of German soldiers

In Seychelles there are 2 CWGC cemeteries but no graves of German soldiers
In Botswana there 12 memorials but no grave of German soldiers

I hope this helps, I am sure there were more than 7 soldiers who died, but they may not be in CWGC cemeteries.
I will ask the CWGC but I think all of their records are on the website.

Is it worth me searching Kenya?
Thanks to your friend about his reply. - :milsmile: -

Yes of course; - currently are no official listed German Graves in Zambia. But my intention was to find references
what have been the situation in 1931, before all British graves were removed to other places? . . .and maybe up
today the German graves still remind there (especial the many German graves which are mentioned in Nakonde!)

danebrog

Post by danebrog » 12 Jan 2016, 22:30

Thes aforementioned locations are Memorials, not graves
Will ask Steve for the list anyhow

Tanzania

Post by Tanzania » 13 Jan 2016, 17:49

These aforementioned locations are Memorials, not graves. Will ask Steve for the list anyhow
Maybe my explanation was unsatisfactory. I expected nothing more than the formally location of this memorial in
Ikawa / Nakonde. Sure; - German graves are not listed in the current CWGC online-lists for Zambia. But with an
exact position of this previous memorial it should be maybe possible to search on site for the additional mentioned
German graves, which are not listed at CWGC. In some cases the Memorials are in the near of in close vicinity to
cemeteries. My hope is, the old position of the Memorial is also the current location of graves in Ikawa / Nakonde.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
IDENTIFICATION OF THE LOCATION OF THE FORMALLY OLD FIVE BOMA (Part V)

6.) Could the range of Old Fife / Ikawa further limited inside the urban area of present Nakonde?
Actually, it's hard to find further sources with informations, descriptions, maps or photos about Old Fife / Ikawa. It is strange,
nonetheless, that there is so little information available about this city between 1920 and 1970. Here we go with the latest attempt
to identify Old Fife / Ikawa inside present Nakonde, based on current aviable cartographical material. The Old Russian Military
maps proved a very reliable in the past. After connection two of this map-parts, the position of the old town centre of Nakonde is
shown in relation to the old part of Ikawa. Furthermore, name and course of the Ikawa stream appeared the first time on a map.

The following text passage proved at least that Ikawa stream runs into Nakonde River.
THE EDINBURGH GAZETTE, NOVEMBER 15, 1929.
10.— INAMWANGA BESERVE, Boundaries.— commencing at the junction of the Chozi river with the Kalungu River,
the boundary follows the Kalungu River to its junction with the Nakonde stream, thence up the Nakonde stream to the
confluences of the Ikawa stream, thence up the Ikawa stream to the Tanganyika Territory border, thence along the
Tanganyika Territory border in a westerly and northerly direction to the source of the Ntanana stream, thence down the
Ntanana stream to its junction with the Nombwe stream, thence down the Nombwe stream to its junction with the Luchinde
stream, thence down the Luchinde stream to its junction with the Chozi river, thence down the1 Chozi river to the point of-
starting. Included within the boundaries as denned above but excluded from the Reserve: —
Msanza Farm No. 1 N.E.B., now No. T 1, 6,372.200 acres in extent, situated at the headwaters of the Msanza stream.
Mwenzo Mission Farm No. 2 N.B:E., now No. T 2, acres in extent, situated at the headwaters of the Nakonde stream.
https://www.thegazette.co.uk/Edinburgh/ ... 2/data.pdf

The old sources mentioned furthermore:
The Station for the Fife sub-district . . . was sited at the Ikawa stream on the Stevenson Road, close to Tunduma.
Old Fife Boma and the later named Ikawa was located on both shores of the Stream Ikawa.

If we would found the point, where the Ikawa stream match the Stephenson Road we should have found the mentioned
position of the original Old Fife / Ikawa. Of course, really not a final proof, but a clear indication that the position of
current graves should be more in the south-east direction of the border crossing between Tanzania and Zambia,
then to the old city centre of Nakonde which was more in the south west . . . and one step further than at the outset.

Tanzania

Post by Tanzania » 14 Jan 2016, 02:43

Because of very rare information of the Lieutenant of the Reserve Gottfried G. S. Haun who was involved
at the ``Skirmish on Kito-Hill in March 1915 at GEA / BNR border´´, here is a short Telegram from him.

Telegramm über ein Gefecht am Tanganyika-See (Bismarckburg), 15.9.1914

– 39 –
Telegramm aus Bismarckburg vom 15. 9. 14.
Westhofen meldet dass er 11. früh 6 Uhr bei Abmarsch aus Lager 3 km östlich Missionsstation Kawimba Rhodesia
durch Gegner mit zwei Maschinengewehre etwa 15 Minuten lang beschossen sei. Nachdem Geschütz in Stellung
gebracht war und Feuer aufgenommen hatte und Europäer sich eingeschossen hatten sei Gegner mit grosser Zahl
Askari und Hilfskriegern Stevenson road zurückgegangen. Diesseits ein Hilfskrieger tot, zwei verwundet. Verluste
des Gegners konnten nicht festgestellt werden. Habe Posten und Patrouillen angesetzt, bis 2 ½ Stunde südlich der
Grenze nichts vom Feinde beobachtet.

gez. Haun

(Quelle: Deutsch-Ostafrika. Kaiserliches Gouvernement. n.d. [1914]. Zusammenstellung der Berichte über die in den
August, September, Oktober 1914 stattgefundenen Gefechte der Kaiserlichen Schutztruppe für Deutsch-Ostafrika.
Morogoro: Regierungsdruckerei.)
Source: http://bwana-lettow.blogspot.de/search/label/Nyassa-See

danebrog

Post by danebrog » 17 Jan 2016, 12:35

Maybe my explanation was unsatisfactory. I expected nothing more than the formally location of this memorial in
Ikawa / Nakonde.
The impossible we do right away, miracles take a little longer ;-)
Your Enquiry 00010403

The CWGC thank you for your enquiry. Our offices are open Monday to Friday and the team will make every effort to provide you with a full response to your enquiry within five working days. Occasionally, some enquiries are more complex and may take a little longer to respond to if we have to refer them to other departments within CWGC.

Regards,
CWGC Enquiries Team

ref:_00D24Kljz._50024DkyK7:re

Tanzania

Post by Tanzania » 17 Jan 2016, 18:10

(Die Deutsche Sprache bietet nun mal mehr Nuancierungen an. Ich bin bei meiner `Anfrage´ auch
nur davon ausgegangen, daß eventuell auch die früheren Standorte dieser Denkmäler aufgeführt
wurden, keinesfalls jedoch die einzelnen Gräber der bekannten vier Friedhofsanlagen in Zambia
vom CWGC. Außerdem selbstverständlich ohne den, in Englisch, eventuell vermittelnden Eindruck
eines Befehlstones)

The following sentences are so many times copied and pasted, that even I couldn´t ignored it:
Old Kansenji Cemetery and Cenotaph - This cemetery contains 23 War Dead concentrated from
Abercorn European Cemetery and 2 concentrated from Livingstone Cemetery. It also contains a
special memorial to 1 casualty known to be buried in Chikuula Military Grave and special
memorials to 2 casualties formerly commemorated on the Ikawa (or Old Fife) Memorial,
whose graves are not known.
You can offer them in UK we can provide photos and an update about Nakonde a.s.o. . . .

Benson and White (1957) qualify the locality Fife as Old Fife, and suggest that
Isoka is equivalent to New Fife. Benson et al. (1971) ... east (9°20'S., 32°45'E.).
It is Ikawa which is the Old Fife of Benson and White (1957) and subsequent
authors. . . . After some time the Boma [Government Station] was moved from
Kanyala to Ikawa [Old Fife] near Nakonde in Isoka District. . . . Fife was
abandoned as an administrative station in August, 1912, the new station being
built on the Isoka stream. The new station took the name of Five and Old Fife
reverting to the name Ikawa . . . . Ikawa, on the Tanganyika plateau, near Fife, is
said to be the new Nakonde . . . . Immediately after this claim became known the
BSAC came with troops from Fife (Ikawa - near modern Nakonde) . . . . Zombe
(Abercorn) and Ikawa (later Fife) were made into British posts. . . . Fife was
originally called Ikawa, but the name was changed by Rhodes and was named
Fife. 1895 the station of Ikawa, now known as Fife, about nine miles east of the
Old Fife . . .
(- 8O - 8O - 8O - . . . . . . and I'm also wondering why if I still got stuck in this puzzle?!?!?)

Even the Germans, [cough] restrained, careful and sensitive as always [/cough], have been confused:
and mentioned 1912 only:
. . . . . Weitere Zollstationen sind Tunduma und Deutsch-Ikomba. Tunduma
gegenüber liegt die englische Station Fife (auf den Karten ganz falsch angegeben) . . .
https://books.google.de/books?id=z13iAA ... wQ6AEIJjAC

danebrog

Post by danebrog » 18 Jan 2016, 09:31

Außerdem selbstverständlich ohne den, in Englisch, eventuell vermittelnden Eindruck
eines Befehlstones
Relax - we´re both veterans who know and trust each other :wink:

Tanzania

Post by Tanzania » 21 Jan 2016, 15:18

OTHER PLACES OF INTEREST IN NORTHERN ZAMBIA WITH HISTORICAL REFERENCE TO BNR 1914-1916 (Part I)

Even though the original theme have been slightly `expanded´, we want to try to approach at least geographical to this topic.
To make good use of our time until further information will be available let´s go back to the environment 200 km in the West.

The British map extract below; shows the historically places along the common boundary with German East Africa and
is originate from: History of the Great War, Military Operations East Africa Volume I, August 1914 - September 1916.
Please notice the positions of Old Five and Fife (Ikawa) on Stevenson Road at the same time on a British map in 1941:

Original Online source: (described above), Sketch 18, Page 622, http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=m ... up;seq=668

The following list include ten historical places along the border BNR - GEA from East to West

1.) OLD FIFE / IKAWA / NAKONE
As already detailed explained, this place was original founded 1895 as Ikawa by the British South African Company.
The current border station on the Zambian side, Nakonde could be possibly the location of former (and maybe still
existing) graves of both opponents. The time period for German losses could be limited to 1915-16 and beginning
of November 1918. Furthermore a few relicts of this legendary Old Fife should be found in the surrounding area.
Preliminary Google position: https://www.google.de/maps/@-9.3435854, ... a=!3m1!1e3

2.) MWENZO MISSION
Mwenzo Mission station was founded together with the first Fife and Ikawa to the end of the 19th century. Like most
field Missions in remote areas, Mwenzo hold also a hospital, which was important special during War times. It is
expected to receive there additional historical background informations. (Collection of present and historic photos:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/simonyyz/ ... 490887219/ )
Preliminary Google position: https://www.google.de/maps/@-9.3333019, ... a=!3m1!1e3

3.) BRITISH - IKOMBA
(There was also German - Ikomba across the border.) This B.S.A.C. founded Station was situated 60 km western of
Mwenzo and 1,200 meters southeast from the boundary post No. 565. For both parties the respective Ikomba was an
important base and checkpoint in this remote area and starting point and scene of some skirmishes in 1915 and 1916.
Preliminary Google position: https://www.google.de/maps/@-9.1649132, ... a=!3m1!1e3

4.) SAISI POST / JERICHO FARM
After some raids by larger allied forces in the first months of 1915 into the Mambwe area (*) the German Command
decided to send reinforcing in these remote areas and to try to eliminate this fortified starting-base on opposing side.
This place called by the British, Saisi Post and by the Germans, Jericho Farm, settled directly on the junction of the
River Saisi and Rumi, which forms there the border between German East-Africa and British Northern-Rhodesia.
Later we have to split this into three different German waves of attack between May - August 1915.
[(*) = Mambwe ethnic and linguistic group (also landscape + villages) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mambwe_people]

Harry, our long-time experienced ``Grandmaster of sideshows´´ have had already looked into this subject:
1914 - 1915, Belgian Congolese military support for the Northern Rhodesia Police,
Northern Rhodesia, THE ATTACKS ON SAISI: http://www.kaiserscross.com/188001/363401.html
Preliminary Google position: https://www.google.de/maps/@-8.9521612, ... a=!3m1!1e3

5.) KAWIMBE MISSION
The original location of the London Missionary Society was shifted in 1887 from Fwambo to Kawimbe and the first church
have been built in 1892. Due to the war started in 1914 the London missionary abounded the Station and turn back in 1916.
During this time the place have been used as military camp from Rhodesian-, South African-, British- and Belgian troops.
Preliminary Google position: https://www.google.de/maps/@-8.8375968, ... a=!3m1!1e3

6.) ABERCORN (MBALA)
Primary founded as Zombe Boma in 1893 and renamed 1895 in Abercorn, this place become the principal base in the
Northern part of new British Rhodesia. When the war started the Command in GEA took the initiative and attacked this
important outpost near the border in September 1914. The fortified Boma of Abercorn was here the main stage of these
fights. The original Boma was demolished after the war, but some other old administration buildings still exists up today.
Preliminary Google position: https://www.google.de/maps/@-8.863873,3 ... a=!3m1!1e3

The following link points out some additional attractions which are related to our theme.

• Lake Chila
• Moto Moto Museum
• Tanganyika Victoria Memorial Institute
• Mbala Old Prison
• Heroes Cemetery
• The world War Memorial Stone

Source: https://chibambakayula.wordpress.com/20 ... ives-on-6/

7.) KITUTA BAY
This bay on the south-eastern shore of Lake Tanganyika, is 5 kilometres eastern of the harbour Mpulungu. On 18th
November 1914 a small German navy detachment arrived with the vessels HEDWIG V. WISSMANN and KINGANI
and disembarked in the bay. The British vessel S.S. GOOD NEWS (1895), abounded onshore, have been destroyed.
The hull of the S.S. GOOD NEWS is alleged existing up today in the northeast edge of Kituta (Kitula -, Chituta Bay).
Preliminary Google position: https://www.google.de/maps/@-8.7579183, ... a=!3m1!1e3

8.) KASAKALAWE
Kasakalawe is a place (also named as point-, hill-, bay- and village-) 4 kilometres west, south-west from Mpulungu port.
The same above mentioned German landing party arrived one day later, on 19th November of this point and destroyed
the, also the on beach lying other British vessel T.S.S. CECIL RHODES. (1901). Further details later in separate report.
Preliminary Google position: https://www.google.de/maps/@-8.80925,31 ... a=!3m1!1e3

9.) ZOMBE
According to unconfirmed reports in Zombe there are also trenches of the World War oriented towards the north.
Preliminary Google position: https://www.google.de/maps/@-8.7664867, ... a=!3m1!1e3

10.) OLD BRIDGE
Up to the 1.WW the connection between Abercorn (BNR) and Bismarckburg (GEA) existed by a straight track and the
there was an old steel bridge over the Kalambo River which forms at this point the border. At beginning the war this
bridges probably have been destroyed. The Royal Engineers reconstructed in September 1916 this bridge during the
allied advance into GEA and the `Schutztruppe´ used this bridge on their way to Bismarckburg after the end of war.
Preliminary Google position: https://www.google.de/maps/@-8.6050278, ... a=!3m1!1e3

Below the map with the current ten historical places of interest in present northern Zambia

Following the headline of this Forum: “ Information not shares is lost ”, provision is made for a later date
with an essay of every above mentioned location, together with a comparison of current conditions with
old photographs in a separate thread (***). Further proposals, corrections and additions are welcome.

(***).JOURNEY INTO THE PAST ALONG THE BNR / GEA BORDER IN 1914-1916
. . . . Separated into:
. . . . I.) - Places in Northern Zambia with historical references to British Northern Rhodesia in 1914-1916
. . . . II.)- Places in South-West Tanzania with historical references to German East-Africa in 1914-1916

danebrog

Post by danebrog » 23 Jan 2016, 20:28

Feedback from CWGC:
Thank you for your email.

I am afraid that the Commission does not produces copies of cemetery of memorial registers for the public.
However, it is possible to view and download the details of the casualties commemorated at these sites by inputting the name of the particular site in the relevant window on the Commission’s ‘Find War Dead’ facility found on the link http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead.aspx to our website. Further details can also be found regarding these sites on the search facility on the links http://www.cwgc.org/find-a-cemetery.aspx.
I hope that this information is helpful to you.
Regards,
CWGC Enquiries Team
Unfortunately I`m actually far too busy to participate at the most interesting threads here.....
Das Motto des Lebens lautet nicht: "Wünsch Dir was" sondern "So isses"

Tanzania

Post by Tanzania » 03 Feb 2016, 06:41

GERMAN WAR GRAVES 1914-1918 ALONG THE NORTHERN BORDER IN ZAMBIA
Regarding German Graves in Zambia exists a 45 years old Correspondence between the Zambian Defence ministry
and the German embassy of the Federal Foreign Office. At that time nine German graves of the First World War
have been listed in the records. Because of political reasons, these graves weren´t moved to Kansenshi / Ndola.
" Das für Kriegsgräber zuständige sambische Verteidigungsministerium verfügt über keine Informationen, ob die in Sambia gelegenen 9 deutschen Kriegsgräber aus dem 1. Weltkrieg heute noch bestehen. Die Angelegenheit war von der Botschaft zuletzt 1970 aufgegriffen worden. Seinerzeit sollten die Gräber auf einen britischen Soldatenfriedhof in Ndola (Kupfergürtel) umgebettet werden. Die sambische Regierung verweigerte jedoch hierzu ihre Zustimmung mit der Begründung, daß deutsche Kriegsgräber nicht unter die Bestimmungen der maßgeblichen sambischen Gesetze über Kriegsgräber und Gedenkstätten fallen. Die Angelegenheit wurde daraufhin von der Botschaft, im Einvernehmen mit dem Auswärtigen Amt und dem Volksbund Deutscher Kriegsgräberfürsorge, nicht weiter verfolgt. Angaben zu den Kriegsgräbern können daher zurzeit nur auf Grundlage der hiesigen Archivakten gemacht werden. Eine entsprechende Übersicht mit einer Beschreibung der Lage der Kriegsgräber und den Namen der Gefallenen wird anliegend übermittelt [ist aber nicht geschehen]. Über den gegenwärtigen Zustand der Gräber ist hier ebenfalls nichts bekannt. Eigene Ermittlungen vor Ort können von der Botschaft wegen der großen Entfernung (Lusaka-Mbala: 1.100 km) kurzfristig nicht durchgeführt werden. Die Botschaft wird jedoch bei künftigen Dienstreisen in die Region die örtlichen Behörden und die dort seit vielen Jahren ansässigen deutschen Geistlichen auf den Zustand der Kriegsgräber ansprechen und erneut berichten, falls sich diesbezüglich neuen Erkenntnisse ergeben." Die genannte Karte sollte doch noch auffindbar sein - wenn nicht beim VDK, möglicherweise im Archiv des Auswärtigen Amtes.
It seems to be, that due to a lack of interest of the German Public nothing happened since this time in this case.
But this increases the chances for us to be successful in Nakonde (Ikawa), Nyembe (Saisi/Jericho) and Kawimbe.

danebrog

Post by danebrog » 07 Feb 2016, 19:54

CWGC list Abercorn European Cemetery
http://archive.cloud.cwgc.org/archive/d ... 799364.JPG

Tanzania

Post by Tanzania » 08 Feb 2016, 16:27

GRAVES ON THE FORMALLY EUROPEAN CEMETERY IN ABERCORN (MBALA / ZAMBIA)
I compared your attachment from the 7th February 2016 (above) with your first document from 29th December 2015. The informations in both lists are identical, even though these are different documents!
29.12.2015: http://archive.cloud.cwgc.org/archive/d ... 799360.JPG
07.02.2016. http://archive.cloud.cwgc.org/archive/d ... 799364.JPG
Regarding our search about monuments or graves along the BNR / GEA border the two documents shows one interesting point, of which I can remind still very well. Ten years before the user KateJ started at the Great War Forum a topic with the search for a relative. This search come up to the East African campaign, and finally to
Murray’s attack on Fort Namema in GEA, end of May / beginning of June 1916 (20 km north of Saisi / Jericho)
Northern Rhodesia
http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forum ... 80[b]Great Dunmow War Memorial[/b]http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forum ... zqx342.png[/img]
The Privates Kemp, Short, Steel and Corporal Hoal were victims of the first British attack on Fort Namema on 28th May 1916 and appears on the list(s) from the European cemetery in Abercorn, up to 23rd July 1925.
Afterwards the graves had been moved to Kansenshi / Ndola / Zambia.
164 Private H.J. Kemp
168 Private John Short
172 Private H.M. Steele
202 Corporal Francis Garner Hoal1660 Trooper Hubert A. Cornish wasn´t mentioned on this list.Source: http://www.kaiserscross.com/188001/366822.html
It means in effect, that the British not even buried their own casualties in the nearer Saisi post and also not
to Kawimbe (Saisi was finally closed as outpost in October 1916), but to the more remotely Abercorn town.

Return to “German Colonies and Overseas Expeditions”