Exists official combat reports from the `Schutztruppe´ 1914-1918?

Discussions on all aspects of the German Colonies and Overseas Expeditions. Hosted by Chris Dale.
Tanzania

Exists official combat reports from the `Schutztruppe´ 1914-1918?

Post by Tanzania » 06 Jan 2016 05:27

Amtliche Gefechtsberichte der Schutztruppe 1914-1918 vorhanden?

Has anybody seen or heard before about official German combat reports like below?

Source: http://bwana-lettow.blogspot.com/2014/1 ... e-des.html

I suspect that this could be for the first months in most of the Colonies after beginning of war
and maybe for the first both years in German East Africa. The other Colonies have lost and in
East Africa it wasn´t longer possible, because the German proceeded more and more to a
`mobile warfare´ (I always resist to use the trendy and edition-raising term `Guerrilla warfare´)
“Day by day and almost minute by minute the past was brought up to date. . . . All History was a
palimpsest, scraped clean and reinscribed exactly as often as was necessary” – G. ORWELL 1984

danebrog

Re: Exists official combat reports from the `Schutztruppe´ 1914-1918?

Post by danebrog » 12 Jan 2016 21:38

Einige Archive, das gilt vor allem für die belgische Seite, sind bislang noch wenig von Historikern genutzt worden. Das Archiv des belgischen Außenministeriums enthält die Akten der Force Publique. Im Afrikamuseum in Tervuren finden sich viele Nachlässe belgischer Offiziere. In einem dieser Nachlässe gibt es einen Koffer, den der Offizier offensichtlich erbeutet und mit nach Belgien genommen hat. Neben Liebesbriefen eines deutschen Offiziers enthält der Koffer auch eine zweibändige Publikation des Gouvernements mit den Titeln „Zusammenstellung der Berichte über die in den August, September, Oktober 1914 stattgefundenen Gefechte der Kaiserlichen Schutztruppe für Deutsch-Ostafrika“ und „Zusammenstellung der Berichte über die in den Monaten November, Dezember 1914 und Januar 1915 stattgefundenen Gefechte der Kaiserlichen Schutztruppe für Deutsch-Ostafrika nebst Nachtrag über die in den Monaten August bis Oktober stattgefundenen Gefechte“. Ich habe bislang in keinem anderen Archiv oder keiner anderen Bibliothek einen Hinweis auf diese Publikation gefunden.
source: http://bwana-lettow.blogspot.de/2014/09 ... chive.html

strongly assume it was a GEA Publication for Schutztruppe members and never found it´s way outside the colony - besides the specimen from the Belgian Archive

Tanzania

Post by Tanzania » 16 Jan 2016 06:56

Thanks’ for this. I didn´t saw this before. This explains my question. When I do find the time, I must visit again
the Belgium Museum in Tervuren. It’s not only an impressive building and a great park, especial in spring, but
the language is a real obstacle for further search in the archive.
Im Afrikamuseum in Tervuren finden sich viele Nachlässe belgischer Offiziere. In einem dieser
Nachlässe gibt es einen Koffer, den der Offizier offensichtlich erbeutet und mit nach Belgien
genommen hat. Neben Liebesbriefen eines deutschen Offiziers enthält der Koffer auch eine
zweibändige Publikation des Gouvernements . . . . Ich habe bislang in keinem anderen
Archiv oder keiner anderen Bibliothek einen Hinweis auf diese Publikation gefunden.

Quellen sind der Stoff aus dem Historiker Geschichte schreiben. Ein Grund, warum der Erste
Weltkrieg in Ostafrika bislang nur wenig Beachtung gefunden hat, ist, dass es verhältnismäßig
wenige Quellen gibt. Das gilt insbesondere für die deutsche Seite. Viele Akten wurden während
des Kriegs verbrannt oder vergraben. Nur in seltenen Fällen wurden diese vergrabenen
Akten nach dem Krieg wiedergefunden. . . . .

“. . . buried suitcases in the wilderness of the East African savannah with previously unpublished documents. . “
Sounds mysterious, but interesting. Only this description is reason enough for the stuff legends are made.

But years ago I have also been confronted with such a mysterious Story. August 1998 I travelled as backpacker
the first time the route from Mbeya to Tabora with a local overland bus-line. We started 6.00 a.m. and two hours
beyond Makongolosi (eastwards from southern Lake Rukwa) the bus broke an axle when we crossed a dry river
bed. The Mechanical, driver and conductor started to remove the damaged part and we as the passengers made
ourselves comfortable. “Time is money” isn´t valid in Africa, particularly not in remote areas. After the first night in,
and under the bus, the few locals from the surrounding area came closer to sell simple food products to us. There
I met an older, serious teacher with a settled character who was from a village in the surrounding area. We started
up a conversation and he told me an old story from longest past days. At that time this story sounds slightly mad; -
but nowadays it appears more credible to me.

In the nineteen-thirties, when he was a small boy his great uncle came one day quite excited and took him and his
father to his field. There they found the hole with a leather suitcase which was wrapped in several tent squares.
The case contained many documents, office supplies, booklets and a few photos. The chairmen of their village
was at this time the only who could read. This man confirmed that the documents and booklets was written in
ki-jerumani (Language-German). When I asked the teacher, what happened with this case, he looked down very
earnest and continued that his grant uncle passed away the next day. All were sure that evil magic in the game and
the village elders decided to bury this piece with sacrificial offerings on exactly the same ground. No-one wanted to
enrage this shaitani / tokoroch (Forest ghost) who was responsible for this misfortune. And I had the feeling it´s
better not to ask the teacher if he still believe for the reason of his grand uncle’s death.

After the second night near the bus a service team from Mbeya arrived and in the evening of the same day we
continued with the journey towards Tabora. I never saw the teacher again.

Subsequently I briefly thought about who could be have a reason to bury in this really remote area a suitcase with
documents? A temporary outpost; - a tour group / caravan? But why they have taken back this later? During the
war not even the third Group under Lieutenant Huebener in September 1916, as part of Major-General Wahle´s
retreat from Tabora passed to far to the west the Lake Rukwa area. The only unit who pass this area, eastern of
Lake Rukwa in April 1917 was the detachment Wintgens / Naumann . . . . .

“Day by day and almost minute by minute the past was brought up to date. . . . All History was a
palimpsest, scraped clean and reinscribed exactly as often as was necessary” – G. ORWELL 1984

danebrog

Post by danebrog » 16 Jan 2016 18:07

You already mentioned the source:
Zusammenstellung der Berichte über die in den August, September,
Oktober 1914 stattgefundenen Gefechte der Kaiserlichen Schutztruppe
für Deutsch-Ostafrika.
Morogoro: Regierungsdruckerei.

Regarding your interesting story:
Probably excess baggage, but too "precious" to burn it. (We all know this when have a look at the attic/cellar ;-) )
Perhaps, sometimes after the war...when GEA is again German colony...they would come back to recover these items
But History went in another way.....

Chris Dale
Host - German Colonies

Post by Chris Dale » 03 Feb 2016 11:16

"At that time this story sounds slightly mad; -
but nowadays it appears more credible to me.

In the nineteen-thirties, when he was a small boy his great uncle came one day quite excited and took him and his
father to his field. There they found the hole with a leather suitcase which was wrapped in several tent squares.
The case contained many documents, office supplies, booklets and a few photos. The chairmen of their village
was at this time the only who could read. This man confirmed that the documents and booklets was written in
ki-jerumani (Language-German). When I asked the teacher, what happened with this case, he looked down very
earnest and continued that his grant uncle passed away the next day. All were sure that evil magic in the game and
the village elders decided to bury this piece with sacrificial offerings on exactly the same ground. No-one wanted to
enrage this shaitani / tokoroch (Forest ghost) who was responsible for this misfortune. And I had the feeling it´s
better not to ask the teacher if he still believe for the reason of his grand uncle’s death."

I love stories and old recollections like this, thanks for sharing it. I'm sure there are a lot of German documents, weaponry and at least two Koenigsberg guns lying half buried in Tanzania to this day...

Cheers
Chris

Tanzania

Post by Tanzania » 03 Feb 2016 11:51

I'm sure there are a lot of German documents, weaponry and at least two Koenigsberg guns lying half buried in Tanzania to this day...
. . . . . hopefully no shaitani (Forest ghost) is still sitting on `our´ Koenigsberg-guns?!?

Chris Dale
Host - German Colonies

Post by Chris Dale » 03 Feb 2016 12:02

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: That might explain the trouble we've had finding them!
Cheers
Chris

Tanzania

Post by Tanzania » 22 Feb 2016 06:24

It seems to be that these, Official combat reports from the `Schutztruppe´ 1914 /
`Berichte der Kaiserlichen Schutztruppe 1914´ has been used as source also 65 years ago.

History of the Great War, Military operations East Africa, Volume I, Charles Hordern, London 1941

Return to “German Colonies and Overseas Expeditions”