Colonial uniform or earlier?

Discussions on all aspects of the German Colonies and Overseas Expeditions. Hosted by Chris Dale.
eindhoven

Colonial uniform or earlier?

Post by eindhoven » 15 Jan 2017, 03:49

This is a relative of mine I recently discovered. I am trying to determine if he is wearing a Schutztruppe uniform or if it's not at all African Colonial or East Asian Expeditionary. The unit is indicated. All assistance is greatly appreciated.
Gierhl.jpg
Gierhl.jpg (77.33 KiB) Viewed 1111 times
Giehrl unit.jpg

Tanzania

Re: Colonial uniform or earlier?

Post by Tanzania » 15 Jan 2017, 12:08

I am really not a uniform expert. Due to this it´s maybe only for me exceptional that he wear a straw hat and an unusual high scarf / shirt (?)

I am constantly surprised about the tightly uniforms (slim fast) at that time, which were maybe fashioned, but absolutely impractical and unhygienically. (Mit solchen Tropenuniformen müssen die Träger nach kurzer Zeit gerochen haben wie die Otter)

But, of course your question isn´t answered with this and reply is still forthcoming.
“Day by day and almost minute by minute the past was brought up to date. . . . All History was a
palimpsest, scraped clean and reinscribed exactly as often as was necessary” – G. ORWELL 1984

eindhoven

Post by eindhoven » 15 Jan 2017, 17:56

Tanzania - Thank you kindly for your reply. I am particularly fond of this catchy uniform (Aber ich stimme mit Ihnen über den Geroch). I imagine it looked like so in color having spent the better part of last night researching. Corrections welcome.

A very big thank you to germancolonialuniforms.co.uk - without which I would likely have toiled for longer.
Gierhl Kopie.jpg
Gierhl Kopie.jpg (145.8 KiB) Viewed 1081 times
A new area for me having my head sunk in WW2 for roughly 4 decades.

His uniform is definitely that of the Ostasiatische Expeditionskorps and luckily my Großonkel also wrote a book about his experiences which I purchased last night.
Giehrl-China-Fahrt-Erlebnisse-und-Eindrucke-von-der-Expedition-1900-.jpg
Giehrl-China-Fahrt-Erlebnisse-und-Eindrucke-von-der-Expedition-1900-.jpg (76.52 KiB) Viewed 1081 times
Now it is a hunt for me to find all these accouterments
Mobilmachung-gegen-China-Boxeraufstand-1900.jpg
Mobilmachung-gegen-China-Boxeraufstand-1900 2 Kopie.jpg

Chris Dale
Host - German Colonies

Post by Chris Dale » 21 Jan 2017, 01:35

Thanks for sharing that great photo and I'm glad you found my website useful in identifying him. Yes he does appear to be in a Bavarian Infantry unit of the East Asian Expeditionary Corps. But the colourised version shows wrong colours, his uniform is khaki more like this-
Cheers
Chris

eindhoven

Post by eindhoven » 22 Jan 2017, 19:31

Chris,

Yes thank you for your website and also for the direction on the uniform. I was thinking it was the winter type uniform. I will adjust that colorization. Cant wait for his book he wrote to arrive so I can learn more about his actions.

With much appreciation
Lloyd

Return to “German Colonies and Overseas Expeditions”