Identifying 1893 DSWA officer

Discussions on all aspects of the German Colonies and Overseas Expeditions. Hosted by Chris Dale.
Chris Dale
Host - German Colonies

Identifying 1893 DSWA officer

Post by Chris Dale » 09 Feb 2017, 22:30

I recieved this email and wondered if any readers might be able to help?
Cheers
Chris

"I'm hoping you may be able to point my inquiries in a productive direction.

I'm translating a genealogy of the Eben family done in 1975 by my uncle, Hans-Wilhelm Eben-Ebenau.

In it there is an account for a Theodor Eben, born at Ebensee April 26, 1859; Oberleut. d. R. im 2.Jäger-Regt; died October 12, 1893, at Otjumbingwe, German South-west Africa, and (get this!) "gefallen oder von Kanibalen ermordet".

I've been trying to figure out which shipment of troops he was in – could have been as early as 1888, or one of the subsequent reinforcements.

I'm also looking at events around that date, especially just before, for an idea of what event he might have been involved in. Most of the likely events didn't take place at Otjumbinque, but he might have been injured elsewhere and returned to there before he died.

Do you have any links to lists of soldiers and their regiments, or info about where they went and when?

Or, of course, he could just have contracted some tropical disease.

From his rank and regiment, can you identify which uniform he might have worn?

Many thanks for any help you might be able to provide."

Glenn2438
Host - Austria-Hungary section

Re: Identifying 1893 DSWA officer

Post by Glenn2438 » 11 Feb 2017, 22:30

Chris,

not much so far but I can correct the unit and rank designation. Theodor Eben was a Premier-Lieutenant der Landwehr Jäger on the rolls of Landwehr-Bezirk inowrazlaw at the time of his death. The Militär-Wochenblatt gives his date of death as October 13 1893 but makes no mention of any service in German South West Africa. It is of course possible he was there in a civilian capacity.

Regards
Glenn

Chris Dale
Host - German Colonies

Re: Identifying 1893 DSWA officer

Post by Chris Dale » 12 Feb 2017, 12:23

Thanks once again for your expertise and presumably vast library, Glenn.
Cheers
Chris

Return to “German Colonies and Overseas Expeditions”