Did the Schutztruppe used Dog tags (military identification)?

Discussions on all aspects of the German Colonies and Overseas Expeditions. Hosted by Chris Dale.
Tanzania

Did the Schutztruppe used Dog tags (military identification)?

Post by Tanzania » 19 Jul 2017 06:30

Did the Schutztruppe used Dog tags (military identification)?Did the Schutztruppe used Identification tags in general in Europe and the Colonies, respectively how Askaris and Europeans were identified if they were killed in action?
This source mentioned: . . . There were also recognition marks for the Imperial Navy and the Schutztruppe. . .
. . . Erkennungsmarken gab es auch bei der Kaiserlichen Marine und der Schutztruppe. .
http://wiki-de.genealogy.net/Erkennungsmarke
Cheers Holger
“Day by day and almost minute by minute the past was brought up to date. . . . All History was a
palimpsest, scraped clean and reinscribed exactly as often as was necessary” – G. ORWELL 1984

Tanzania

Re: Did the Schutztruppe used Dog tags (military identification)?

Post by Tanzania » 23 Jul 2017 19:04

»The seriousness of a question proves itself at the latest when one answers it . . . sometime«

For me, the general theme, `dog tags by the Schutztruppe' was completely new. I did not even know that these were used
before the First World War with the imperial army. This is how you learn again and again. In the following I could find so far:

Bereits frühzeitig wurden die Angehörigen der Kaiserlich-deutschen Schutztruppe für DSWA mit Erkennungsmarken ausgestattet.
Diese Marken wurden in den Kolonien hergestellt, verschiedenste Formen sind bekannt. Für Mannschaften und Unteroffiziere
waren diese Marken aus Zink, für Offiziere aus Neusilber. Die Erkennungsmarken wurden entweder an schwarz/weiß/roter
Schnur, oder in den Landesfarben der Heimatregimenter oder an neutraler, einfacher Schnur um den Hals getragen.

The members of the Imperial German Schutztruppe of GSWA were equipped with identification tags. These were manufactured in
the colonies and a variety of forms are known. The tags for soldiers were made of zinc and those of officers of German silver. The
identification tags were worn around the neck on a black/white/red string, or on a string in the colours of the home country
regiment, or on a simple one of neutral colour.

Die lede van die Keiserlik-Duitse Schutztruppe vir DSWA is reeds vroegtydig van identifikasieplaatjies voorsien. Hierdie tekens is
in die kolonies vervaardig en verskeie vorms is bekend. Manskappe en onderoffisiere se plaatjies was uit sink, terwyl díe van die
offisiere uit alpakka vervaardig is. Die is aan ‘n swart/wit/rooi toutjie, of aan ‘n toutjie in die landskleure van die
moederlandregiment, of aan ‘n eenvoudige band van ‘n neutrale kleur, om die nek gedra.

Source: Erkennungsmarke Kaiserl. Schutztruppe? http://www.numismatik-cafe.at/viewtopic ... 0&start=10
s-l1000.jpg
Original Source: http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/222031275 ... -l1000.jpg

This means that there were dog tags at least with the Schutztruppe in DSWA.

However, information about the other colonies is missing so far.
Maybe one of you has further details?

Cheers Holger
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Day by day and almost minute by minute the past was brought up to date. . . . All History was a
palimpsest, scraped clean and reinscribed exactly as often as was necessary” – G. ORWELL 1984

Return to “German Colonies and Overseas Expeditions”