Combat actions of german planes in African colonies

Discussions on all aspects of the German Colonies and Overseas Expeditions. Hosted by Chris Dale.
Nadir Shah

Combat actions of german planes in African colonies

Post by Nadir Shah » 26 Feb 2005 11:16

Hello,
In the begining of IWW there were some german planes in German East Africa and German South-West Africa. I know that in a case of East Africa they (2?) were sent to participate in the big colonial exhibition (like cruiser Koningsberg).
But what about South- West Africa? What about their combat actions against British of South African Forces. I suppose they were quickly out of order becouse of climate and lack of spare parts.
Does anyone have some info on this subject?
Best regards

Nadir Shah

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 27 Feb 2005 02:50

DSWA links of interest:

http://www.rapidttp.co.za/milhist/0/c00janne.html

http://rapidttp.com/milhist/vol053sm.html

http://www.henckert.com/karibib/history.htm

The German pilots in DWSA in mid 1914 were Bruno Büchner(sent to East Africa), Willi Trück and Alexander von Scheele:the Austrian Paul Fiedler also served.

Nadir Shah

Post by Nadir Shah » 05 Mar 2005 13:57

Thank you Peter. This exactly what I looked for.
Nadir

Chris Dale
Host - German Colonies

Post by Chris Dale » 17 Oct 2005 14:16

Here's a photo of a German aeroplane in East Africa.
Cheers
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cristiano de S.O Campos

Airplane

Post by Cristiano de S.O Campos » 21 Oct 2005 20:39

Hi Chris

I Have these photo too

But, which is this airplane?

Is a Rumpler?

Cristiano.

Chris Dale
Host - German Colonies

Post by Chris Dale » 21 Oct 2005 22:39

Hi Cristiano,
The only pilot I know of in DOA was Bruno Brüchner with his single Doppelpflalz aeroplane. So I'm assuming this is him, unless other readers know otherwise.
Cheers
Chris

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 24 Oct 2005 13:15

Brüchner piloted the only German aircraft in DOA.

Two aircraft were also in Kamerun but without any pilots.They arrived by ship just before the outbreak of war.The pilots were suppose to be coming later.

A discussion paper on the benefits of aviation to the German colonies was written by one Willy Lenk pre-war.He died in an aircraft accident in 1913.A Colonial Aviation Committe brought things further along,concluding the benefits of aircraft,airfields to the colonies in providing both communication and military advantages.Subsequently three aircraft were shipped to DSWA(arriving early 1914,including Brüchner's which was then onsent to DOA ),two aircraft to Tsingtau(one crashing before August 1914),the two in advance to Kamerun,minus their pilots.

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 24 Oct 2005 13:37

Franz Oster was the first German aviator at Tsingtao,followed by the more well-known Plüschow.

http://www.earlyaviators.com/eoster.htm

Oster and his Rumpler Taube:
http://www.tsingtau.info/namen/oster/osterrumpler.jpg

schutztruppe

Aircraft in DSWA

Post by schutztruppe » 25 Oct 2005 06:46

If you are looking for more detailed info on the operations of aircraft in DSWA then I can help.

schutztruppe

HILDEGARD ORDEN

Post by schutztruppe » 25 Oct 2005 06:48

I am looking for information on the so called 'Hildegard Orden' that was produced and awarded in German South West Africa 1914 -15. Any info would help.

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 25 Oct 2005 07:30

Welcome to the forum schutztruppe,

Any more info on the operations of aircraft in DWSA would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Peter

Chris Dale
Host - German Colonies

Post by Chris Dale » 25 Oct 2005 13:40

Thanks Peter for the great photo and also for the info about Cameroon's abortive air force. Do you mind if I add that bit to the Intersting facts section on my website?
And Schutztruppe, the best source of information I can think of on the Hildegard Order would be the upcoming book "For Valour"
"This book hopes to fill the much neglected area of both the German and Namibian medallic history and research namely the so called colonial Iron Crosses and Wound Badges that were awarded in the German colony of South West Africa during the 1914 – 15 war. The book will also give the reader the background and events that led to the awarding of the ‘Hildegard Orden’, the only official variant of the 1914 Iron Cross, in German South West Africa. Also included is the history of both the Iron Cross and Wound Badge that were awarded for the 1914 – 15 campaign in the German colony as well as name lists of those that were awarded these decorations."
The book can be obtained from the Namibia Scientific Society at email address [email protected] . But as you're the author of this book I guess you knew that already!
Cheers
Chris

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 25 Oct 2005 14:13

Chris,

No problem with the Kamerun aircraft being mentioned.

I think one of the pilots allocated to Kamerun was Eugen Kirch.

Hauptmann Kirch served with the Schutztruppe in Kamerun in 1912,returned to Germany for pilot training 1913.His nickname was the Fliegender Kameruner thereafter.

Regards,
Peter

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 17 Dec 2005 14:50

Another potential pilot in Kamerun in 1914 was one Leutnant Hans Lothar von Minckwitz.Minckwitz had his civilian pilot license.Unfortunately he was shot in a fight against Senegalese troops and died of his wound in September 1914.

In East Africa Brüchner was wounded by British ground fire but succeeded in getting his plane back down in one piece.Its then said that an untrained German officer then volunteered to fly the aircraft: he died when he hit a tree on landing.

The Pfalz was partly salvaged.Its engine and propeller were used to power a railway wagon(nicknamed the SchienenZepp) on railway patrol duties(?).

CharlesRollinsWare

Re: DOA aircrew

Post by CharlesRollinsWare » 08 Jan 2006 19:57

Peter;

After Bruno Brüchner was wounded, Oblt. Erich Henneberger, a Schutztruppe officer assigned to 10.FK volunteered to fly the plane, while Lt.d.R. Wilhelm Gutzmer v. Guzmann acted as observer. However, on or about 24 October 1914 while attempting their second or third flight the aircraft stalled and spun in near Daressalaam, killing the former and badly injuring the later. The plane itself was destroyed in the crash and resulting fire - but using the technican manuals that came with the plane knowledge gained during its activity, and key parts that were salvaged, including the engine and propeller, they built a second machine which was built on floats. I do not, hoever, know any of the subsequent history of that bird.

Does anyone know the specific types of aircraft in the other colonies (DSWA/Kamerun?)

Hope this helps

Return to “German Colonies and Overseas Expeditions”