http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/ ... i_77673471
Lettow-Vorbeck also used some shells of the Königsberg as land mines in blocking a mountain road in 1916.The British were stopped but then drove a herd of oxen through the minefield to clear it.Lieutenant-Commander Schonfeld, a retired German naval officer and plantation owner in German East Africa, conceived a bold plan that was to bring immortal fame to the guns and the crew of Konigsberg. He suggested they salvage her guns for von Lettow-Vorbeck's forces to use on land.
So under the noses of the Royal Navy that failed to interdict the salvage operations, the Germans retrieved the 10 105-mm guns from the bottom of the Rufiji River, transported them more than 124 miles to Dares Salaam (via some of Schonfeld's plantation vehicles) and mounted them on gun carriages by mid-August. Employing this simple bit of ingenuity, the Germans expanded and modernized the Schutztruppe artillery holdings. In the process, they added 180 men from the Konigsberg to von Lettow-Vorbeck's force. Indeed, as the British Admiralty admitted, it was "a priceless acquisition."
The guns of Konigsberg were dispersed around German East Africa: five went to Dares Salaam for the defence of the port; two to Tanga north of the capital to repel any repeat Allied landing attempts there; two to the port of Ujiji on Lake Tanganyika at the western end of the railway from Dares Salaam; and one to Mwanza on Lake Victoria.
In addition to the ammunition salvaged from the Konigsberg and her supply ships, ammunition was manufactured in Dar es salaam.
Those members of the ship's company not tasked to act as gun crews were formed into the "Konigsberg Company" and deployed in the south and the southwest of the colony. The company was commanded by Loof's First Officer, Kapitan-Leutnant (Lieutenant-Commander) Georg Koch.