Recommended books on German Colonies & Overseas Expediti

Discussions on all aspects of the German Colonies and Overseas Expeditions. Hosted by Chris Dale.
mikelotus

Post by mikelotus » 12 May 2006, 04:52

Hi, new to forum, but I thought Battle for the Bundu was one of the best military history books period. It was one of my first Military History Book Club selections. I also just purchased Lettow-Vorbeck's Soldiers and its still in shrink wrap, hope its good.

One that I just stumbled across is Konigsberg: A German East African Raider, from ZanzibarNet, http://www.zanzibar.net/kjpatience/konigsberg.html

A recent, more specialized book that has gotten much attention is Mimi and Toutou's Big Adventure : The Bizarre Battle of Lake Tanganyika at http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/140007 ... s&v=glance

Chris Dale
Host - German Colonies

Post by Chris Dale » 12 May 2006, 17:32

Hi Mike,
Thank you for those recomendations. I keep seeing that Mimi and Toutou book in different shops. I can't make out whether it's a serious book or not. Have any other members read it? I'd like to hear anyone's thoughts please.
Cheers
Chris

Gew71

Post by Gew71 » 12 May 2006, 21:01

I've read it.It's alright,maybe even a little better than Shankland's book on them.

Utrecht

Post by Utrecht » 01 Aug 2006, 20:40

Here is a list of books about German colonialism in Africa. I am since long searching for the book Die Kampfhandlungen in den ehemaligen deutschen Kolonien in Afrika während des 1. Weltkrieges (1914-1918) by Hans Krech. If someone can help me find it, please!

Utrecht

Post by Utrecht » 03 Aug 2006, 00:40

And two other interesting titels will be published in the next six months:

mikelotus

Post by mikelotus » 04 Aug 2006, 03:03

I wish they would translate more of the German titles into English. There is a cost effective way to provide this -- publish to Internet only and charge for download.

Thomas Morlang

New book about Colonial Wars

Post by Thomas Morlang » 23 Sep 2006, 13:12

A few days ago a new book was published in Germany about Colonial Wars. Unfortunately it is available only in German:

Thoralf Klein / Frank Schumacher (Eds.), Kolonialkriege [Colonial Wars Military Force in the Age of Imperialism], Verlag Hamburger Edition, 369 pages, hardback, € 35,00 (incl. 7% VAT), ISBN 978-3-936096-70-5

In public perception, the era of colonial wars ended, at the latest, with the end of the decolonialization process in the mid 1970s. Colonial wars are perceived as a thing of the past, a phenomenon that has lost its political base.

In fact, numerous contemporary armed conflicts are linked, directly or indirectly, to the historical phenomenon of colonial war. These conflicts are accompanied by a renaissance of the terms empire and imperialism, which play a role in new schemes of global and regional order. Current approaches to the study of colonial wars are often justified by one-sided historical references that fail to do justice to the complexity of the settings in which colonial warfare unfolded. The systematic historical comparisons presented by the authors of this volume aim to fill this gap.

Colonial wars were not only the most radical form in which force was brought to bear within an imperialist context; they were also an integral element of the cultural practices of expansionist states. The contributions to this book thus also include perspectives from the field of cultural studies.

The eleven selected case studies of colonial warfare probed here reflect the historical development of military violence in the age of imperialism from its beginnings in the first decades of the nineteenth century to the end of decolonization; there are also illustrative of the various types of imperial expansion. The texts focus on the conditions that lead to the conflicts in question; on how each confrontation with its specific military strategies and operations unfolded; on the cultural background, discourse, and use of language that characterized a particular war; and on how memories of these confrontations have been shaped in the interim.

With contributions by Giulia Brogini Künzi – Cord Eberspächer – Michael Hochgeschwender – Thoralf Klein – Susanne Kuß – Christoph Marx – Daniel Mollenhauer – Thomas Morlang – Ulrich Mücke – Frank Schumacher – Dierk Walter – Reinhard Zöllner

About the editors:
Thoralf Klein, Dr. phil., historian and scholar of Chinese history; researcher in the department of East Asian History, University of Erfurt. The history of Christianity in China, the history of German-Chinese relations, and recent social and cultural history of China are his main fields of work.

Frank Schumacher, Dr. phil., historian and political scientist; research in the Department of North American history a the University of Erfurt; his research interests include North American history, history of the Atlantic region, international history of the modern era.
Attachments
978-3-936096-70-5.gif
978-3-936096-70-5.gif (30.63 KiB) Viewed 20082 times

lettow4beck

Post by lettow4beck » 25 Sep 2006, 12:10

Could you list what the eleven case studies are?

cj

Post by cj » 25 Sep 2006, 20:59

My favorite would have to be the "Last cruise of the Emden" by Edwin P Hoyt. Probably the best military history book ever written. "The cruise of the Sea Eagle" by Blaine Pardoe was also extremely good. As far as other reading on the Pacific goes, I would love to hear about any books in English dealing with the siege of Tsing Tao. Also I would love to find Herman Detzner's book, my four years with cannibals (I think thats the title), in English. Plus anything on the SMS Wolf. As far as Africa goes I've read "The Forgotten Front" by Ross Anderson and found it extremely bland, but full of facts. I'll probably buy his other book "Tanga", and hope it's a better read. "The Great War in Africa" is another must buy. But my big question is wheather or not Lettow-Vorbeck wrote his memoirs?, and if he did are they obtainable in English? (unrelated note: how about the Kaiser's memoirs, I would love to have those.)

Gew71

Post by Gew71 » 25 Sep 2006, 21:15

Edwin P. Hoyt also wrote "The Fall of Tsingtao" and "Raider Wolf",both pretty good.

Thomas Morlang

Post by Thomas Morlang » 26 Sep 2006, 10:31

lettow4beck wrote:Could you list what the eleven case studies are?
Here is a list of the eleven articles:
Klein, Thoralf: Einleitung (zus. m. Frank Schumacher)
Schumacher, Frank: Einleitung (zus. m. Thoralf Klein)
Brogini Künzi, Giulia: Der Wunsch nach einem blitzschnellen Krieg: Die italienische Armee in Ostafrika (1935/36)
Eberspächer, Cord: "Albion zal hier ditmaal zijn Moskou vinden!" Der Burenkrieg (1899-1902)
Hochgeschwender, Michael: The Last Stand: Die Indianerkriege im Westen der USA ( 1840-1890)
Klein, Thoralf: Staffeldzug im Namen der Zivilisation: Der Boxerkrieg in China (1900-1901)
Kuß, Susanne: Kriegführung ohne hemmende Kulturschranke: Die deutschen Kolonialkriege in Südwestafrika (1904-1907) und Ostafrika ( 1905-1908)
Mollenhauer, Daniel: Die vielen Gesichter der pacification:Frankreichs Krieg in Algerien (1954-1962)
Morlang, Thomas: "Die Wahehe haben ihre Vernichtung gewollt." Der Krieg der "kaiserlichen Schutztruppe" gegen die Hehe in Deutsch-Ostafrika (1890-1898)
Mücke, Ulrich: Agonie einer Kolonialmacht: Spaniens Krieg in Marokko (1921-1927)
Schumacher, Frank: "Niederbrennen, plündern und töten sollt ihr": Der Kolonialkrieg der USA auf den Philippinen (1899-1913)
Walter, Dierk: Warum Kolonialkrieg?
Zöllner, Reinhard: Ein ostasiatischer Holocaust? Japans Aggression in China (1931-1945)

lettow4beck

Post by lettow4beck » 27 Sep 2006, 21:26

Thank you Herr Morlang for the list. I see you wrote one of the chapters. It looks like a "must read" :D

Duncan

Post by Duncan » 27 Sep 2006, 21:56

Hi
I don't think anyone referenced this book:

German East - The Story of World War I in East Africa, by Brian Gardner.

First published 1963 by Cassell and Company.

Particular reference to the war Mozambique and Tanganyika.

Cheers
Duncan

Utrecht

Post by Utrecht » 25 Jan 2007, 15:39

Kolonialheld fur Kaiser und Fuhrer and Tip & Run (WWI in Africa) are now for sale.

Here is another interesting list of books about the German colonies.

cj

Post by cj » 07 Feb 2007, 06:59

anyone read "Heroes before Gallipoli" about the battle of Bita Paka???
I plan to order it soon, but haven't yet spoken with anyone who has read it

Return to “German Colonies and Overseas Expeditions”