Prussian-Lithuanian Uhlan Regiment 12 members in German SWA

Discussions on all aspects of the German Colonies and Overseas Expeditions. Hosted by Chris Dale.
Arvo L. V.

Prussian-Lithuanian Uhlan Regiment 12 members in German SWA

Post by Arvo L. V. » 24 Apr 2006, 05:52

Esteemed forum members'

As is known, the Prussian 12. Uhlan Regiment contained many soldiers from Lithuania-minor; that is, the formation included many individuals, who were of Lithuanian heritage and who also resided in Eastern Prussia. Prussia acknowledged this heritage in 1717, when it first established the regiment, hence the formal name of the mounted regiment was the "Litthauisches Uhlanen Regiment Nr. 12". According to an article on the history of the Prus-Lith 12th regiment written by Gerhard SCHAEPER (NFI), in 1894, 1 officer, 3 NCO's and 5 troopers of the "Prussian-Lithuanian Uhlan Regiment" volunteered for service in German Southwest Africa (SWA). 2 NCO's and 2 Uhlans died in combat in the colony.

My questions then:

A.) Is it known to which specific unit in German SWA these soldiers were assigned to?
B.) Is it known what the names of the fallen four soldiers were?
C.) Is it known in what actions these soldiers participated in?
D.) Can it be assumed that while these Prussian-Lithuanias were serving in German SWA, they wore German SWA uniforms - and not their standard Prussian "continental" uniforms?

Thank you kindly for any information; even if only to point me in the right direction, so I can locate same on my own. One of my goals is to generate some color art work on these "Lithuanians" serving in German SWA.

Regards;

Arvo L. V.

Chris Dale
Host - German Colonies

Post by Chris Dale » 26 Apr 2006, 02:33

Hello Arvo,
It's going to be difficult to track down those guys without their names at least, but maybe a forum member will have a clue.
I can only help with the last part of your question "D". Yes, you are correct in assuming they would have worn standard DSWA Schutztruppe uniform. No state or former regimental insignia was worn.
Cheers
Chris

Arvo L. V.

Thank you kindly.

Post by Arvo L. V. » 26 Apr 2006, 03:39

Esteemed Chris;

Thank you kindly for your response. I am most appreciative of same. I have also sent you a PM re a qustion or two that I have.

Regards;

Arvo

SandyF

Re: Prussian-Lithuanian Uhlan Regiment 12 members in German SWA

Post by SandyF » 20 Jan 2020, 06:06

I registered here on this website, just to give you this information. My Great Great Uncle Frederich Radzuweit born 1837 in Konisgberg, Prussia, was in the Lithuanian Uhlan Regiment #12 and fought against Denmark in 1864, against Austria in 1866 and against France in 1870 - 1871. I have a newspaper clipping from a German newspaper with this information in it. I wish I could be of more help. I plan to do a little more research on this regiment, and if I find the names of the deceased soldiers, I will definitely post it here. I hope the years and the countries help a little in figuring out what wars these were.
Sandy

stevebecker

Post by stevebecker » 21 Jan 2020, 01:09

Mate,

I have mentioned it before but try looking threw the Verlustlisten 1. Weltkrieg under Deutsch-Ostafrika, Deutsch-Südwestafrika and Schutztruppe für Deutsch-Südwestafrika, for men from some city or town in Lithuania.

I tried but no one came up under "Lithuania", but I am sure you know what cities are there better then me.

I did notice a large number of men from East Prussia like

Abrolat Friedrich (Tilsit) Schutztruppen 30

But I am unsure if these are the men were looking at or sailors from the "Koingsberg"

S.B

Litas

Post by Litas » 27 Dec 2022, 16:09

Hallo collectors,
required information.
RARE?
cover stamp
12th Lithuanian Regiment of Ulans

Greetings from Lithuania
Attachments
s-l1600 (21).jpg