- Posts: 1599
- Joined: 24 Jun 2007 22:54
- Location: Lusitania
- Posts: 1322
- Joined: 15 Mar 2012 17:19
"The first batteries reached Italy shortly after Italy's attack on France in June 1940. The supply continued during the entire war, because the production of the Italian anti-aircraft piece, the 90/53 was always too slow to face the mounting needs. By December 1940 there were 44 of the German guns in Italy, and a year later in late 1941 there were 21 batteries equipped with a total of 84 of the 88 mm FlaK guns."
Total deliveries were about 600; Ansaldo produced various gun parts from May 1942 and OTO produced replacement barrels from 1943.
The Italians had already asked for 88 mm guns in June 1939. At that time Germany had none to spare but supplied a few dozen 75 mm Skoda Vz. 37 guns instead.
The Italian 90/53 AA gun was an excellent weapon by all accounts and over 2,000 had been ordered by the end of 1940. However, production was seriously delayed, notably because the platform had to be redesigned several times before the army accepted it. The static version was available sooner, but the first mobile batteries were not ready before the very end of 1942. As a stop-gap measure a number of guns were mounted on Breda and Lancia trucks from early 1941. Total production was 982 according to F & R; the gun remained in service with the Italian army until 1970, from the mid-1950s with a British Contraves fire control system.
- Posts: 128
- Joined: 24 Mar 2005 16:42
- Location: Portugal
About the 88mm & 90mm guns please check the article "THE ITALIAN 88mm & 90mm AT/AA GUNS IN NORTH AFRICA" by Alessandro Massignani & Jack Greene.
There are several versions available online, one is here:
http://fowbelgianarmy.virtuaboard.com/t ... e-ariete-1
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot]