Mussoloini's Nazi Close Protection Unit and Oberstabarzt Bröcker

Discussions on all aspects of Italy under Fascism from the March on Rome to the end of the war.
Ian Sayer

Mussoloini's Nazi Close Protection Unit and Oberstabarzt Bröcker

Post by Ian Sayer » 22 Feb 2018, 15:43

I have attached a photo which was signed on the 23rd March 1945 and inscribed to a German medical colonel whose name appears to be Bröcker. The photo came with a note that suggested that Dr.Bröcker was the 'Commander of Special Police Corps which was protecting Mussolini'. I have had this photo for some years but although I would have thought it unlikely that Bröcker , a medical colonel, was who the note suggested he was, it is certainly possible that the Nazis had stationed a doctor in their entourage who could assist Mussolini in the event of any medical emergencies.
So I am wondering if any forum members might have any ideas on the full identity and duties of Dr Bröcker . Of coursethat may not even be the correct spelling of the inscription but, at least, it is a start.
Thanks for any help.
Ian
Attachments
1945 03 25 Mussolini .jpg

mty

Re: Mussoloini's Nazi Close Protection Unit and Oberstabarzt Bröcker

Post by mty » 26 Jan 2022, 12:56

If any physician indeed existed with the name Dr. Bröcker, I don't think he was ever a "Commander of Special Police Corps" or anything similar. More probable is that he was a Begleitarzt assigned to Mussolini (same ways as Brandt and Hasselbach to Hitler) and in that capacity worked closely with his bodyguards. I don't think RSD ever guarded Mussolini even though there are some references of Kriminalsekretär, SS-Hauptsturmführer Fritz Birzer of Dienststelle 1 (Hitler's security group) being posted as head of Mussolini's bodyguard in 1945. I don't remember seeing anything related to that in RSD archival material I went through at Bundesarchiv Lichterfelde couple of years ago.

- Mikko

Ian Sayer

Post by Ian Sayer » 26 Jan 2022, 16:05

Thanks for that Mikko. I have had this photo since 1985 and have always been intrigued by it. I am sure your assessment is probably correct. Appreciate your sharing.
Regards Ian

Waleed Y. Majeed

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed » 26 Jan 2022, 19:20

Here‘s one of the doctors Hitler sent to assist Mussolini but unfotunately not a “Bröcker“.
https://www.gettyimages.dk/detail/news- ... /104408890
https://www.gettyimages.dk/detail/news- ... /104408885

Waleed

Ian Sayer

Post by Ian Sayer » 27 Jan 2022, 16:01

Thank you very much Waleed.
Best Regards
Ian

Return to “Italy under Fascism 1922-1945”