Italian translation help?

Discussions on all aspects of Italy under Fascism from the March on Rome to the end of the war.
mfy4444

Italian translation help?

Post by mfy4444 » 09 Aug 2018, 17:09

Hello all. I have found that the standard English translations of the Ciano diaries (at least, the ones that I am familiar with-- there may be a new and better translation that I'm unaware of) take so many liberties that I no longer trust them. Luckily, I found an original Italian-language version online, and now if I want to quote Ciano on anything I make my own translations. But I am wondering exactly how to interpret the following (from the March 16, 1942 entry-- the subject is Italian food supplies, and Giuseppe Pareschi was the new Minister of Agriculture):

"Pareschi-- pieno del sacro fuoco dei novizi-- si fa molte illusioni sul futuro e crede che alcune sue iniziative possono se no addirittura capovolgere, almeno migliorare di molto la situazione."

My own translation would be:

"Pareschi-- full of the holy fire of the convert-- deludes himself a lot about the future and believes that some of his initiatives could at least make the situation a lot better, if not even reverse it."

(note: I substituted "convert" for "novice" and could have put "zeal" or "enthusiasm" for "holy fire"-- or "sacred fire"-- but like the "holy fire" better as a term of expression-- also realize I could have translated "crede" as "thinks" instead of "believes")

For the record, the "standard" English translation in my English-language copy of the Ciano diaries is:

"Pareschi-- who has all the enthusiasm of the convert-- looks to the future hopefully and believes that some measures he is going to take will at least accomplish a great deal to better the situation, if not change it completely." (see what I mean about taking liberties with a literal translation?)

My question: the phrase "... se no addirritura capovolgere, almeno migliorare di molto la situazione." Am I right in making that "... could at least make the situation a lot better, if not even reverse it."

Or should the interpretation be more along the lines of... "if not reversing the situation, could at least make it a lot better."
Do you see the difference of emphasis? What I am asking, is Ciano saying that Pareschi thinks his measures will improve things, maybe even totally fix them (my interpretation)?; or does he mean that Pareschi realizes his measures won't totally fix things, but will at least make them much better? A subtle difference, maybe, but I like to try to get the meaning right as much as possible.

Thanks for any help or thoughts from our native Italian speakers on the forum!

Regards

Mike Yaklich

jwsleser

Re: Italian translation help?

Post by jwsleser » 09 Aug 2018, 20:00

I would use your "if not reversing the situation, could at least make it a lot better." That is the way I would translate it.

Pista! Jeff
Jeff Leser

Infantrymen of the Air

Dili

Post by Dili » 11 Aug 2018, 06:17

I agree. "reversing the situation" should convey a very low probability of occurrence if any at all, it is more an artifice of language.

mfy4444

Post by mfy4444 » 13 Aug 2018, 22:33

Thanks for the help! And Jeff, thanks cumulatively for all the questions of mine you've been answering on this forum!

Regards

Mike Yaklich

Return to “Italy under Fascism 1922-1945”