Question on Abbreviations/Nomenclature for Italian Units

Discussions on all aspects of Italy under Fascism from the March on Rome to the end of the war.
CV60

Question on Abbreviations/Nomenclature for Italian Units

Post by CV60 » 02 Oct 2018, 21:08

I am working on a game dealing with World War II, and a question has arisen regarding the proper abbreviations used by all the major allied and axis ETO powers (US/UK/France/USSR/Germany/Italy) for designating a unit. For example, in the US Army, "A" company, 1st Battalion, 15th Infantry Regiment would be designated as "A/1-15". What we would like to have is the proper abbreviation format for all the major powers, from squad to division, (as well as a reference citation, if possible) In the US Army it looks like this:

Squad: Number
Platoon: Number
Company: Letter
Battalion: Number
Regiment: Number
Division: Number

Can anyone on the list steer me in either an answer to this question for each of the major combatants in WWII, and/or possible ways to research this issue? Any guidance would be appreciated.

Dili

Re: Question on Abbreviations/Nomenclature for Italian Units

Post by Dili » 02 Oct 2018, 23:02

Company/Battery : number
Battalion : roman numeral
Regiment: number
Brigade: roman numeral
Division: number

i'll get back with more info.

jwsleser

Post by jwsleser » 03 Oct 2018, 00:16

From Manuale per l'ufficiale frequentatore dell'I. S.di G, parte quarta Segni convenzionali ed abbreviazioni.

Using what Dili provided:

Squad - sq. = 2ª squadra mitragliatore = 2ª sq. mtr.
Platoon - pl. = 2ª plotone fanteria = 2ª pl. f.
Company - cp. = 2ª compagnia bersaglieri = 2ª pl. b.
Battery - btr. = 2ª batteria = 2ª btr.
Battalion - btg. = II battaglione granatieri = II btg. gra. Often you will see btg. gr.
Regiment - rgt. = 2º reggimento fanteria = 2º rgt. f.
Brigade - brg. = II brigata corazzato = II brg. cor.
Division - D. = 2ª Divisione Alpina = 2ª D.A. The letters are suppose to be capitalized, but often you will see D.alp., or d.alp, or d.al.

Note the manuale distinguishes between carri di rottura (a breakthrough tank i.e. medium/heavy) abbreviated as cr. and a carri d'assalto (assault tank, but in reality a light tank) abbreviated as ca. These disappeared with the use of the L and M series tanks. You then see btg. carri L and rgt. carri M. Brigade and division are corazzata (cor.).

Pista! Jeff
Jeff Leser

Infantrymen of the Air

CV60

Post by CV60 » 08 Oct 2018, 20:24

Thank you very much!

Return to “Italy under Fascism 1922-1945”