Recommended reading about the Italian aggression on Greece

Discussions on all aspects of Italy under Fascism from the March on Rome to the end of the war.
CNE503

Recommended reading about the Italian aggression on Greece

Post by CNE503 » 16 Jan 2019, 13:07

Hello,

Could someone please recommend me some good readings about the Italian attack against Greece as of October 28th, 1940?
I don't need a very deep analysis, but a good summary of the events that led to this attack and a resumé of the military operations of the Italian army from late October 1940 and of the Greek counteroffensive from mid-November.
Authorized and well-informed websites can be a match.

Thank you for any help provided.
Regards,

CNE503
"Sicut Aquila" / "Ils s'instruisent pour vaincre" / "par l'exemple, le coeur et la raison" / "Labor Omnia Vincit"

CNE503

Re: Recommended reading about the Italian aggression on Greece

Post by CNE503 » 17 Jan 2019, 08:51

An additional point of interest would be the detailed deployment of a combined-arms British expeditionary force in Greece as of October 1940.

CNE503
"Sicut Aquila" / "Ils s'instruisent pour vaincre" / "par l'exemple, le coeur et la raison" / "Labor Omnia Vincit"

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 17 Jan 2019, 12:46

Hi CNE503,

In English, the book I recall is The Hollow Legions: Mussolini's blunder in Greece, 1940-1941 by Mario Cervi. It was published in 1971.

In Italian there is also at least one official history volume by the Ufficio Storico of the Italian General Staff.

The should be something more recent in English, but I don't know of anything personally.

Shortly after the war, General Alexander Papagos published quite a large volume in English on the Greek role: The Battle of Greece, 1940-1941.

I think HMSO reprinted a short British study of British intervention a few years ago. (possibly Greece and Crete, 1941: A short military history, by Christopher Buckley)

There ought to be something more recent in English, but I don't know of anything personally. You may have identified a historiographical gap that needs filling.

Cheers,

Sid

CNE503

Post by CNE503 » 17 Jan 2019, 13:18

Hi Sid,

Many thanks for these references, it was exactly what I was looking for.
I'm currently writing a scholar paperwork about the German involvement in Romania in 1940. I need some sources about the huge strategical shift induced for Germany by Italian attack on Greece (leading to "Marita", so in the establishment of the Oberkommando der Truppen des Deutschen Heeres in Rumänien [AOK 12] in January 1941 and its entrance in Bulgaria in March), that's the reason why I need some background about it.

Thanks again.
Cheers,

CNE503

jwsleser

Post by jwsleser » 20 Jan 2019, 16:27

Given your topic, you should look at:

Van Creveld - Hitler's Strategy 1940-1941: the Balkan Clue, Cambridge University Press, 1973.
Stockings and Hancock - Swastika over the Acropolis: Reinterpreting the Nazi Invasion of Greece in World War Two Brill, 2013.

Another military overview is:

Carr - The Defense and Fall of Greece. Pen & Sword Military 2013

The Italian official history is:

Montanari - La campagna di Grecia, USSME 1980. Three volumes and likely far more than you need. In Italian.

If all you need is an overview of the fighting, Cervi is likely enough. If you need diplomatic materials, just ask and I will see what is out there.

One book is:

Royal Greek Ministry our Foreign Affairs - The Greek White Book Diplomatic Documents related to Italy's aggression against Greece. Hutchinson & Co. 1942.

Papagos is good for reading about the Greek prewar strategic considerations and planning.

There is a thread that dipped into German strategic issues here on AHF. Just ignore the obvious conflict between two of the participants (I was one) as there are some very good information posted and excellent sources cited during the debate. You might find something useful or a source to look into.

Anglo-Greek Meeting at Tatoi – 22 February, 1941
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=219872

Pista! Jeff
Jeff Leser

Infantrymen of the Air

CNE503

Post by CNE503 » 21 Jan 2019, 23:13

That's awesome! Grazie Jeff!

CNE503

Return to “Italy under Fascism 1922-1945”