Italian Generals in Sicily

Discussions on all aspects of Italy under Fascism from the March on Rome to the end of the war.
Berto

Italian Generals in Sicily

Post by Berto » 17 Mar 2019, 17:13

I am looking for info about the fate of these four generals during the invasion of Sicily in summer 1943:

General Francesco Zingales, commander of XII Corps;
General Giuseppe Romano, commander of the 28th Infantry Division "Aosta";
General Ottorino Schreiber, commander of the 207th Coastal Division;
General Carlo Gotti, commander of the 213th Coastal Division;
General Giovanni Bocchetti, commander of the 18th Coastal Brigade;
General Azzo Passalacqua, commander of Port Defense "E" (Catania).

Were they captured (and if so, where and when) or did they manage to retreat to mainland Italy?

Additionally, I am looking for information about where General Gino Ficalbi, commander of the 202nd Coastal Division, was captured on 22 July 1943.

Jack Nisley

Re: Italian Generals in Sicily

Post by Jack Nisley » 14 Apr 2019, 01:51

If you look them up on generals.dk, you can find out if they were captured and when, but not where.

jwsleser

Post by jwsleser » 11 Jun 2019, 04:15

Generale div. Francesco Zingales, commander of XII Corps: Corps withdrawn between 15-16 August, transferred to Lucania. On 8 September was Avellino without any troops. Generale Zingales was in command until 8 September.

Generale div. Giuseppe Romano, commander of the 28th Infantry Division "Aosta": Remains of the division withdrawn 9-12 August. Transferred to Trento where the division was being reconstituted. Generale Romano was in command until 8 September.

Generale div. Ottorino Schreiber, commander of the 207th Coastal Division: Generale Schreiber commanded the 207º d.cos. until 12 July when he was replaced by gen. brig. Augusto de Larentiis. He took command of the 26ª d.f. «Assietta» on 26 July. Withdrawn between 11-14 August, it was transferred to Asti to be rebuilt. Generale Schriedber was in command until 8 September.

Generale div. Carlo Gotti, commander of the 213th Coastal Division: Division was dissolved on 15 July. I assume Generale Gotti survived as he had commands later in the war.

Generale brig. Giovanni Bocchetti, commander of the 18th Coastal Brigade: Commanded the XIX brig. cos. Brigade was withdrawn on 11-12 August and attached to the XXXI C.d'A. However there is no sign of the brigade in the OB on 8 Sep., so I assume the unit was broken up. I assume generale Bocchetti was with the brigade.

Generale brig. Azzo Passalacqua, commander of Port Defense "E" (Catania): I wasn't able to find anything on this general.

Pista! Jeff
Jeff Leser

Infantrymen of the Air

Berto

Post by Berto » 11 Jun 2019, 21:18

Thank you.

Return to “Italy under Fascism 1922-1945”