Does the Italian monarchy still get abolished if Italy doesn't enter WWII?

Discussions on all aspects of Italy under Fascism from the March on Rome to the end of the war.
Futurist

Does the Italian monarchy still get abolished if Italy doesn't enter WWII?

Post by Futurist » 04 Jan 2020, 01:41

Does the Italian monarchy still get abolished if Italy doesn't enter WWII (for instance, in a scenario without the Fall of France)? My hunch is to say No since the 1946 Italian monarchy referendum was actually relatively close--with the winning republican side being less than 10% ahead of the losing monarchical side. However, I was wondering what the rest of you think about this.

Any thoughts on this?

Dili

Re: Does the Italian monarchy still get abolished if Italy doesn't enter WWII?

Post by Dili » 04 Jan 2020, 10:58

I don't think it would. Some even think that it was the war/Fascist tainted king that sabotaged (unintentionally?) the monarchy by not giving the power earlier to the heir https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umberto_II_of_Italy

Sheldrake

Post by Sheldrake » 04 Jan 2020, 12:58

Futurist wrote:
04 Jan 2020, 01:41
Does the Italian monarchy still get abolished if Italy doesn't enter WWII (for instance, in a scenario without the Fall of France)? My hunch is to say No since the 1946 Italian monarchy referendum was actually relatively close--with the winning republican side being less than 10% ahead of the losing monarchical side. However, I was wondering what the rest of you think about this.

Any thoughts on this?
No.

It was not certain that Italy would lose its monarchy until the Americans said they were not prepared for it to continue.

Futurist

Post by Futurist » 05 Jan 2020, 02:31

Dili wrote:
04 Jan 2020, 10:58
I don't think it would. Some even think that it was the war/Fascist tainted king that sabotaged (unintentionally?) the monarchy by not giving the power earlier to the heir https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umberto_II_of_Italy
Yep, I've heard that as well--as in, that the monarchical side would have had higher odds of winning this referendum had VE III resigned in favor of his son Umberto earlier--such as in 1943 rather than 1946.

BTW, it's quite interesting that Trentino appears to have been the most pro-republican region in Italy in 1946. Could this be due to their lack of historical attachment to the Savoyards since they were ruled by the Hapsburgs until 1918?

Futurist

Post by Futurist » 05 Jan 2020, 02:32

Sheldrake wrote:
04 Jan 2020, 12:58
Futurist wrote:

Any thoughts on this?
No.

It was not certain that Italy would lose its monarchy until the Americans said they were not prepared for it to continue.
Do you have a source for this claim, please?

James A Pratt III

Post by James A Pratt III » 06 Jan 2020, 00:35

If you look what happened to Italy as a result of WW I if Mussolini had kept Italy out of WW II. He would have been thought of as a great leader ect. Note he did remain popular in Italy as late as the fall of 1942 from what I have read. So I think the Italian monarchy has a fairly good chance of surviving. It sort of depends on the Monarch.

Sheldrake

Post by Sheldrake » 06 Jan 2020, 13:05

Futurist wrote:
05 Jan 2020, 02:32
Sheldrake wrote:
Futurist wrote:

Any thoughts on this?
No.

James JHolland "Italy's Sorrow pp 247-251 This is an oversimplification but it is clear that the drive for abdication was from the Italian Americans and Sforza. The Soviets were keen on abolishing the monarchy.

Futurist

Post by Futurist » 15 May 2020, 02:41

Sheldrake wrote:
06 Jan 2020, 13:05
Futurist wrote:
05 Jan 2020, 02:32
Sheldrake wrote:
Futurist wrote:

Any thoughts on this?
No.

James JHolland "Italy's Sorrow pp 247-251 This is an oversimplification but it is clear that the drive for abdication was from the Italian Americans and Sforza. The Soviets were keen on abolishing the monarchy.
Thanks; I have now read the relevant pages of this book. Very interesting! :)

zaptiè

Post by zaptiè » 15 May 2020, 09:42

The referendum itself had big problems of legitimation. The result was never officializated by Italian Supreme Court and where several evidente frauds in north Italy(several Towns with no pro Monarchy votes, littery no one , not ever the monarchist leaders have votated fot the King!).

Futurist

Post by Futurist » 10 Sep 2020, 22:31

And there wasn't pro-monarchist fraud in southern Italy?

SloveneLiberal

Post by SloveneLiberal » 10 Sep 2020, 23:33

I think Italian republicans won politically already with the new government of Bonomi in June 1944 after the liberation of Rome. All bigger political parties were supporters of republic including Christian democrats ( democrazia christiana ). And fascist on the other hand broke with the monarchy and did not support it any more. In the last phase of WW2 they were republicans.

Futurist

Post by Futurist » 16 Sep 2020, 22:12

Interesting, but all of this occurred after Italy's WWII entry and defeat.

Return to “Italy under Fascism 1922-1945”