10th Bersaglieri Regiment P.O.W.'s 1940...

Discussions on all aspects of Italy under Fascism from the March on Rome to the end of the war.
jwsleser

Re: 10th Bersaglieri Regiment P.O.W.'s 1940...

Post by jwsleser » 12 Apr 2020, 01:30

No, the I btg. bers. never served in A.S.

If he was a POW at Alexandria, he might have been recalled to the colors and transferred to a different unit the fought in A.S. Captured in A.S.

Or

He was recalled to the 1º regg. bers. and was with the unit when it was transferred to Albania in Nov 1940. Captured in Albania fighting against the Greeks. The Greeks transferred some of their prisoners to UK control, and the UK evacuated them to Egypt.

Without the missing pages, difficult to know.

Pista! Jeff
Jeff Leser

Infantrymen of the Air

Dubs

Post by Dubs » 15 Jan 2024, 05:53

H team, I just found this forum. My wife's grandfather was also in the 10th Bersaglieri and a POW.

Can you please detail how you were able to gain copies of records from Italy?
I have been stonewalled at a number of angles.

I have a bunch of information from when he was a POW here in Australia as the POW's were 'lent' out to farmers to work.
Italian POW's were deemed to be less of a threat than some others and were able to work on farms.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jwsleser

Post by jwsleser » 15 Jan 2024, 19:18

If your spouse’s nonno was an officer, there is a different procedure. If that is the case, just ask.

To obtain NCOs and soldiers’ military records, you need to have the soldier’s name, date, and place of birth. Parents names are quite useful and I would include then as well if available. Service number helps, but is not needed. These numbers were repeated each year, so the conscription class (year) is also needed.

Currently all of these records are now held in the state archives. The request must be addressed to the Archivio di Stato of the province of his place of birth. You can find the contact information at this website: https://archivi.cultura.gov.it/istituti ... i-di-stato

Note that some of areas covered by a province has changed over the years and some provinces were eliminated. You need to see in which province his place of birth is currently located, not necessarily the province listed in his birth records. Best practice is to send the request to both archives if there was a change.

The request can be sent by email. The main document to ask for is the foglio matricolare (service record). You can ask for any other documents they might have as well. Best to send the request in Italian. I always recommend that the email be in both Italian and English if Italian isn’t your native tongue just to be safe. Scans of any Italian Army documents can be useful as well.

The turn-around time can be fairly quick (a few weeks) to a few months depending on the archive. I just ask that if you gain success, please post here that you were able to get some documents. This is to ensure that my information is still valid. You don’t need to disclose the materials you received unless you wish to share.

Pista! Jeff
Jeff Leser

Infantrymen of the Air

Return to “Italy under Fascism 1922-1945”