Italian unit identification - Photo

Discussions on all aspects of Italy under Fascism from the March on Rome to the end of the war.
Panzer Ace

Italian unit identification - Photo

Post by Panzer Ace » 28 Apr 2020 00:19

Hello to everyone

My grandfather fought for Italy in WW2, I´m searching for which unit did he served.
He died several years ago when my mother was a child so I didn´t knew him. My uncle could tell me that he fought in north Africa, in a artillery unit, was wounded and taken prisoner by the British.
I´ve some photos of him. From those, as the one I attached, I can say that he was a sergente maggiore.
From the insignia of the cap it may belong to an infantry unit. In the center of the cap insignia I can see the number 34. Which is the indicating this number? I´ve searched for the Italian divisions and there was not a 34th infantry division.
If anyone sees something else that could help me to identify my grandfather´s unit it will be very appreciated.

Thank you!
Best regards
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

diciassette2000

Re: Italian unit identification - Photo

Post by diciassette2000 » 29 Apr 2020 09:50

An answer could be that he had served in the 34th infantry regiment that was organic to the Livorno division which fought in Sicily and therefore could have been captured by the British ..... sure that nothing would have to do with North Africa .. ...
All the best
Maurizio

diciassette2000

Post by diciassette2000 » 29 Apr 2020 10:00

Otherwise the 34th artillery regiment was organic to the Sassari division which did not fight in Northern Africa. The only artillery unit having the organic numeral 34 in North Africa was the 34th GAF Grouping of Tripoli .... while there was a 33rd group of artillery and a 44th group of artillery ....
All the best
Maurizio

Panzer Ace

Post by Panzer Ace » 01 May 2020 00:09

Hi Maurizio, thank you very much for your answer

I think it is more likely that he had served in the 34th regiment attached to the Livorno division. I´ve seen that the regiment counted with a mortar company and a battery of cannone da 65/17, maybe he was serving in some of these attachments.

The clue that I had that he fought in North Africa, I´m going to ask again to my uncle. Maybe as the most important front the italians are associated in ww2 it´s north africa, the story my uncle remembered it´s influenced by this.

I´ve also found a photo that in it´s reverse shows that by february 1943 he was in Sicily, so the 34th Reg. option gains more weight.

I´will keep serching, now if I confirm the regiment I will try to find the batallion, although it is very difficult.

Thank you
Best regards!

diciassette2000

Post by diciassette2000 » 01 May 2020 17:40

However, there is one thing to say that Livorno in Sicily did not have 65/17 pieces because it had been sold and replaced with 47/32 pieces ... but it had 81mm mortars ... even if the 65 / pieces 17 had had them until 1942 when she was mobilized for the attack on Malta which she never did ....
all the best
Maurizio

Return to “Italy under Fascism 1922-1945”