Generale Giuseppe Tellera

Discussions on all aspects of Italy under Fascism from the March on Rome to the end of the war.
VJK

Generale Giuseppe Tellera

Post by VJK » 04 Oct 2020, 15:04

Hi,

Does anyone have the date of promotion to Generale d'armata. I suspect that it may have been posthumous, but the below mentioned sources quite clearly indicate that he achieved that rank.

https://www.pietredellamemoria.it/pietr ... are-modena
https://italianiinguerra.com/2019/02/06 ... le-tellera
https://www.difesa.it/Il_Ministro/ONORC ... ITALIA.pdf

Many thanks in advance,

VJK

Steen Ammentorp

Re: Generale Giuseppe Tellera

Post by Steen Ammentorp » 06 Oct 2020, 19:50

Hi VJK,

While fully aware that the absent of proof is no proof I have been unable to confirm a promotion of Tellera to Generale d'Armata, even posthumously.

It is not mentioned in the following sources:

Bollettino ufficiale delle nomine, promozioni e destinazioni negli ufficiali e sottufficiali del R. esercito italiano e nel personale dell'amministrazione militare

I am missing a some of the issues for 1941 (24-43 and 60-98), so it could have been announced in one of these. But nor is it mentioned in the database by Istituto del Nastro Azzurro, and since I believe that the promotion would have been a "promozione per Merito di Guerra" it should have been recorded here.

It is not mentioned in Tellera's entry in " generali di Mussolini" by Giovanni Cecini from 2016 (All other promotions are mentioned).

I have been unable to find any reference to such a promotion in the archives of "La stampa", and I am sure that any wartime promotion would have been mentioned here. I doubt that he would not have been promoted posthumously postwar.

However, Guido Boselli in" I generali dell'Esercito Italiano Caduti nella Seconda Guerra Mondiale" from 1949 refers to him as both Generale d'Armata and Generale di Corpo d'Armata designato d'Armata.

I believe that it is a mixup up how his role as Comandante d'Armata and rank as Generale di Corpo d'Armata.

We have Tellera on our list in this old thread by your brother on senior Italian generals viewtopic.php?p=65301#p65301 but without anyone have come up with any evidence on him.
Kind Regards
Steen Ammentorp
The Generals of World War Two

VJK

Re: Generale Giuseppe Tellera

Post by VJK » 06 Oct 2020, 22:11

Hi Steen,

I had already "de-classified" him to Generale di corpo d'armata, but the fact that the Italian Ministry of Defence site, as well as the Lapidario "in memoriam" site both clearly state Generale d'armata has made me think again, though I fully appreciate your arguments and the lack of proof. It seems the mystery continues.

Kind regards,

VJK

Return to “Italy under Fascism 1922-1945”