Italian Army Territoriale Battaglione September 1943

Discussions on all aspects of Italy under Fascism from the March on Rome to the end of the war.
territoriale

Italian Army Territoriale Battaglione September 1943

Post by territoriale » 29 Nov 2020, 23:24

Dear all,

Can I ask for help in my research to identify all the Italian Army Costiero, Territoriale and Territoriale Mobile (Not MVSN or CN) battalions that existed in Italy and/or overseas as at September 1943 please?

Unlike the First World War, I have not been able to locate a complete list of these and so are using various written and internet sources to create one. Does anyone know or have one they could share please (perhaps Maurizio, as you helped me with the 1915-1918 ones some time ago?).

I have two particular questions I really would like help with -

1. Which battalions were in Calabria, Puglie/Apulia & Basilicata (including the 209-212/214 & 227 Coastal Divisions; XXXI Coastal Brigade
and Piazza MM of Taranto and Bari) in September 1943?
2. Which battalions had been formed with numbers between 549 and 581; and where were they in September 1943?

I have checked all the internet sources I have found so far without success.

Many thanks - Martin

jwsleser

Re: Italian Army Territoriale Battaglione September 1943

Post by jwsleser » 30 Nov 2020, 22:01

Martin
I have checked all the internet sources I have found so far without success.
You didn't check this one. :wink:

Order of Battle R.E. Sep. 1943

Note that are many questions on the btg. T.M. There isn't a good source that tracks these btg. during the war. Some were never mobilized. Many were changed to btg. costiera. I have been slowly working through the information, confirming what I can.

Pista! Jeff
Jeff Leser

Infantrymen of the Air

diciassette2000

Re: Italian Army Territoriale Battaglione September 1943

Post by diciassette2000 » 02 Dec 2020, 15:51

Unfortunately, the territorial departments born during the 2nd World War are one of the least treated and least known topics of the whole Royal Army .... and to complicate the matter is that every weapon actually mobilized some ..... and many at least the first 200 were then demobilized and remobilized with other numerical badges .... I think that in the end only the militia mobilized about 150 between 100 and 400 of order .... then to further complicate things was their location that varied from large coastal units to ports and strongholds managed by the Navy ....
all the best
Maurizio

territoriale

Re: Italian Army Territoriale Battaglione September 1943 - Extra question

Post by territoriale » 06 Dec 2020, 23:08

Jeff and Maurizio,

Thanks for your replies (Jeff, I have a copy of that OOB also),

It seems I will just have to continue my research with whatever resource I can find.

I have one further question on Battaglioni Costiero/Territoriale/Mobile that you might answer for me - very many are described as 'Bis'. I am aware of this numbering from its use for World War 1 Italian compagnie presidiaria but what did it mean for WW2 Battaglione Territoritale (BT)?

* That it was just the second battaglione of that unit? If so then why not form a unit with a higher number?
* That it was the second BT formed by that depot?
* That it was formed from a cadre of the first battaglione?
* That the first battaglione went on active duty and left the 'Bis' battaglione as the local garrison unit?

Thanks

Martin

Return to “Italy under Fascism 1922-1945”