Unknown Italian Officer on the "Prinz Eugen", November 1942

Discussions on all aspects of Italy under Fascism from the March on Rome to the end of the war.
Kriegsmarine Großadmiral

Unknown Italian Officer on the "Prinz Eugen", November 1942

Post by Kriegsmarine Großadmiral » 22 May 2021, 16:33

Hello, does anyone recognize this officer? The photo was taken on board the "Prinz Eugen" on 22 November 1942.
Thanks!
Attachments
who.JPG
Kriegsmarine Großadmiral

Steen Ammentorp

Re: Unknown Italian Officer on the "Prinz Eugen", November 1942

Post by Steen Ammentorp » 22 May 2021, 21:48

Hi,

Have you seen the wiki article on "Prinz Eugen" it refers to a Rear Admiral de Angeles presenting the ship's bell from the Austrian battleship Tegetthoff on the 22 November 1942 Here
It is speculated that the name is garbled and that the officer is in fact Carlo de Angelis Charet de La Fremorie, the Italian naval attaché to Berlin, and since the Annuario ufficiale delle forze armate - Regia Marina for 1940 has no officers by the name de Angeles I find it very plausible. There is a photo of "de Angelis" in Uomini della Marina but I can't say for sure that it is the same person, though likely.
Kind Regards
Steen Ammentorp
The Generals of World War Two

Kriegsmarine Großadmiral

Re: Unknown Italian Officer on the "Prinz Eugen", November 1942

Post by Kriegsmarine Großadmiral » 22 May 2021, 22:52

Steen Ammentorp wrote:
22 May 2021, 21:48
Hi,

Have you seen the wiki article on "Prinz Eugen" it refers to a Rear Admiral de Angeles presenting the ship's bell from the Austrian battleship Tefetthoff on the 22 November 1942 Here
It is speculated that the name is garbled and that the officer is in fact Carlo de Angelis Charet de La Fremorie, the Italian naval attaché to Berlin, and since the Annuario ufficiale delle forze armate - Regia Marina for 1940 has no officers by the name de Angeles I find it very plausible. There is a photo of "de Angelis" in Uomini della Marina but I can't say for sure that it is the same person, though likely.
Thank you very much Steen! I think you are right and it's indeed Carlo de Angelis Charet de La Fremorie.

Could you perhaps see this thread also: viewtopic.php?f=75&t=245900
I was unable to ID the admiral on that photo. It was taken in Toulon, France.
Kriegsmarine Großadmiral

Return to “Italy under Fascism 1922-1945”