Aircraft carrier "Aquila"

Discussions on all aspects of Italy under Fascism from the March on Rome to the end of the war.
eisenbahn9

Re: Aircraft carrier "Aquila"

Post by eisenbahn9 » 17 Nov 2011, 18:59

Madmike61,

Thank you for that info. Has the definitive book been published yet? Under what title? I might be interested in ordering it, even though I can't read Italian.

According to an article in Warship 2007, the US Navy conducted a postwar inspection of Aquila and issued a technical evaluation report. One of the findings was that landings would have been "very dangerous", partly due to the modifications made to the arresting gear (in order to make it operable) and partly because no crash barrier was installed.

eisenbahn9

Post by eisenbahn9 » 12 Aug 2014, 19:17

I have found two more titles related to Aquila, both by author Daniele Lembo. Le portaerei del Duce: le navi portaidrovolanti e le navi portaerei della Regia Marina was published in 2004. The other is Le portaerei che non salparono. Le navi portaerei e porta idrovolanti della Regia Marina, printed in July 2013. Unfortunately, I also learned that the author, Daniele Lembo, died in March 2013 from a sudden illness at age 52.

Was wondering if anyone here has seen either book and could give an opinion as to the contents. I'm primarily looking for technical details about this ship and its construction.

madmike61

Post by madmike61 » 15 Aug 2014, 18:17

the book i've talkin about some years ago is 'Le Portaerei Italiane', (italian aircraft carriers) by Michele Cosentino, Ermanno Albertelli Editore.

A big format, 250 pages book on the aircraft carriers from 1912 to Cavour.

Return to “Italy under Fascism 1922-1945”