Italian shipping support for Spanish Civil War

Discussions on all aspects of Italy under Fascism from the March on Rome to the end of the war.
Spearfish

Italian shipping support for Spanish Civil War

Post by Spearfish » 09 Jul 2022, 11:26

I am told that during the Spanish Civil War 87 Italian ships made 190 journeys to Spain with men and supplies. Has anyone got more detailed statistics and a breakdown by year?

Ironmachine

Re: Italian shipping support for Spanish Civil War

Post by Ironmachine » 14 Jul 2022, 08:38

Not much detail that I can add, but as nobody has added anything, I think what follows could be interesting:
José Miguel Campo Rizo, in both his article El Mediterráneo, campo de batalla de la Guerra Civil española: la intervención naval italiana. Una primera aproximación documental and his book La ayuda de Mussolini a Franco en la Guerra Civil española claims that he has identified, from research in Spanish archives and from the book La participación naval italiana en la guerra civil española (1936-1939) of the Italian admiral Franco Bargoni, 258 journeys to Spain related with the Italian military intervention in the SCW. Of them, 166 were made by italian ships and 92 were made by Spanish ships or by ships flying the Italian flag.
Hope that helps.

Spearfish

Re: Italian shipping support for Spanish Civil War

Post by Spearfish » 15 Jul 2022, 15:41

Ironmachine
I keep saying this but it is true, you are a star.
Many thanks for that information and for the sources.

Return to “Italy under Fascism 1922-1945”