Italian casualties

Discussions on all aspects of Italy under Fascism from the March on Rome to the end of the war.
Lupo Solitario

Re: Alphabet soup

Post by Lupo Solitario » 24 Aug 2002, 19:23

Milizia Volontaria per la Sicurezza Nazionale((MVSN) - "Volunteer Militia for National Security" . MVSN was Fascist Militia formed soon after Mussolini's rise to power in 1923. The primary function of the MVSN was political control and police duties. Its military function was the organization of Black Shirt battalions for service within each division of the Royal Army.

substantially correct

Repubblica Sociale Italiano(RSI) "Italian Social Republic" new Fascists army formed after Sept 1943. The RSI consisted of the ENR[National Republican Army or Esercito Nazionale Repubblicano] and GNR[Republican National Guard or Guardia Nazionale Republicana].

no, RSI was the state organized by germans in northern italy in septmeber 1943 and leaded by Mussolini. Its armed forces included National Republican Army (ENR), Navy (MNR), Air Force (ANR) and "Guard" (a sort of militarized police) (GNR). In 1944 Fascist Party organized its formations known as "Black Brigades"

Gruppi di Azione Patriottica (GAP) {"Pariotic Action Groups"} Each of the six CLN political parties had military commands theoretically under the Military Junta.

No, the GAP were particular partisan formations operating in urban areas, they were essentially under control of communist party. No to be confused with SAP which were little groups for terroristic actions

Corpo Voluntari della Liberta (CLN). A committee to oversee the various partisan groups.

No, confusion. The Corpo Volontari della Libertà (CVL) is the name taken by the clandestine army after formation of unified command in 1944. CLN means Comitato di Liberazione Nazionale (National Liberation Comitee) and is the name of the political alliance between antifascist parties

Corpo Italiano di Liberazione (CLI)- "Italian Liberation Corps". The Badoglio government formed a force of 22,000 soldiers to fight with the Allies. The CLI were equiped with Italian uniforms and material.

more correct CIL, the italian contingent aside allies took this name between april and september 1944

bye

Lupo

gabriel pagliarani

Casualties

Post by gabriel pagliarani » 24 Aug 2002, 21:39

Dear Sirs,
the true lack is about civilian casualties: after Sept 8 1943 a lot of "comuni" (towns) destroyed the lists of the residents to avoid the calling from Gemans or from Allieds. There were an high number of civilians born in the Fallen Empire (..like dad born in Albania) and all their files was lost. My mother, by her own eye-witnesses when she was disbanded far from Rimini, watched from highs the bombing of Gambettola Town when the Gothic Frontline was stopped at Coriano Hill. This town had 2 great misfortunes: the first all the population was skilled in iron recycle, the 2nd the poor town lies on an important railway. When the town was bombed there were at least 15.000 inhabitants plus rather 10.000 civilians disbanded and no only a fascist or German soldier. At noon the sky was fullfilled of bombers and my mother never forget the metal brilliant shinings of the bombs dropping down, the increasing dusty fog coming up from the town and the quake she felt for all a gorgeous sunny day: at evening stopped an suddenly the sea-artillery became an hard bombimg till day after. When she and other rescuers went down from the hills in Gambettola there were only 300 people still living and after 4 hours the 1st Gurkha soldier entered in this open cemetery. How many Gambettola there were in Italy? 100-200-500.000 casualties? Who may count them after 60 years?

Luca

Re: Alphabet soup

Post by Luca » 25 Aug 2002, 00:04

Custermen wrote:
some were member of CLN. I don't think they liked be considered in RSI victims ====reply===
The same. They was RSI citizens.
This is confusing me.
Dear Custermen,
sincerly, this is confusing me too.
If You no cut a part of my poor reply we can understend better.
Best Regards
Luca
Quote:
many people dead in Yugo slaughters were no fascist, some were member of CLN. I don't think they liked be considered in RSI victims

The same. They was RSI citizens. Is in any case correct that the great part of the victimes was only normal citizens. Concern the Fiamme Verdi killed from italian or/and Jugo comunists,i take the occasoin for ask how much is know concern the Fact that in some occasions the Fiamme Verdi partisans fight WITH the X Mas formations v the Tito invasion?

gabriel pagliarani

The duration of life of RSI

Post by gabriel pagliarani » 25 Aug 2002, 00:54

Dear Custermen,
try to imagine to a State completely new and in a tremendous state of war which own territory has been halved 6 months after foundation, in wich ways, streets, electric ducts, telephone lines, water ducts are continuosly bombed.. and this State could survive only from January '44 to April '45 and during this short time and withstanding defections and casualties organized an Army and an Aviation with the previous allied as owner at home...in my opinion RSI was a miracle of efficiency if compared with the previous kingdom and the difficulties due to the double invasion. Yes, double invasion in my mind! For example I can talk about the "operation Phoenix", a masterpiece of Nazi occupation of RSI. When in October '44 it was evident to every one that the North Italy will be kept as soon as possible by Allied, the chief of Air Operations in Italy of the Luftwaffe General Von Richtofen (only homonymous of the legendary ones) thought to retire all the men and planes of ANR (Fascist Air Force) under the echelon of the Luftwaffe for the last battle over Germany. Note that all the planes Germans gave to ANR were not free or gratis but they were payed with the gold of the reserves of Banca d' Italia! When the old warriors of 1° and 2° Stormo had the novel, suddenly the planes were burned and all pilots threated to reach the Liberation Front Volounteers. When Mussolini was conscious of the failed "anschluss" of the ANR, he called directly Hitler asking him how much he was growth mad! Hitler was obliged to remove Von Richtofen and new planes Messerschitt full-optional and free-cost were sent to Italians. But the new organization of ANR had a cost in loss of time and halved the air defence more than 100 days of Allied bombing. Also the credibility of the chiefs of Stormi towards the partisans was touched and it costed the life to Cap. Visconti, Calistri, Minardi and many others killed after the stop of the war without any trial: before these days no a partisan had shot to a fascist pilot and no a fascist pilot had never gunned a partisan. But Von Richtofen had broken this gentlemen agreement.

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 25 Aug 2002, 13:52

Hi Luca

I don't mind being quoted but you missed out the vital "Hardly" when responding to my earlier post. I'm no expert on the Italian Army etc after'43 but my point was that as far as I'm aware no say dvisional sized unit was on the front line for a long period and that I was surprised by how many casualties occured after '43.

:D Andy from the Shire

Luca

Post by Luca » 28 Aug 2002, 23:43

Cheshire Yeomanry wrote:Hi Luca

I don't mind being quoted but you missed out the vital "Hardly" when responding to my earlier post. I'm no expert on the Italian Army etc after'43 but my point was that as far as I'm aware no say dvisional sized unit was on the front line for a long period and that I was surprised by how many casualties occured after '43.

:D Andy from the Shire
Dear Andy,
sorry very much if i ve quote incorrect cause ,as You can well understend, i no speak english.
Sorry again!
with respect
Luca

PS = i'm no expert of nothing.

Return to “Italy under Fascism 1922-1945”